PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Already contacted the seller about the so-called "Dunhill-tight" "original" stem, where the shank was obviously sanded to fit the poor fitting stem and the dot is also wrong, too close to the end of the stem. Too bad, it was a really nice looking blasted ODA Tanshell.
LINK

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Why???????? would you do that..... :crazy:
Why would a pipe's owner do that? Either because he didn't know anything better was possible, or to save a buck.
Why would a (so-called) repairman do that? Because he couldn't DO any better. (And therefore shouldn't have even tried. There is no rewind button in the repair biz.)
That was a fairly rare ODA, too. Easily worth hundreds.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
What a shame. I can't imagine the mind of a person who looked at that and thought it was alright. Hideous.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here it is! Whoa!
It could have been done better by continuing the rustication down the shaved portion. But still very wrong- just a bit less wrong....
s-l1600.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If I were gifted that pipe, all I could think of is putting a silver repair band to cover the "workmanship".
Also, I sometimes can't distinguish between a blast and a rusticated stummel. Can someone point out what makes it which on the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.