Votes: 50 98.0%
  • Moss

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

20200530_231034.jpg20200530_231232.jpg

Hi everyone. I stopped smoking 7 years ago but now I'm back at it, no special reason.

When I stopped smoking, I put my tobacco into mason jars and stored them away in my cellar for 7 years and this happened when I took it out of the jar.

I've read through the forum to see whether it's plume or moss.

But I would like to ask for your opinion on this.

The tobacco is Samuel Gawith's Full Virginian Flake by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: artvandelay007

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Well, there was an old thread I read on a cigar forum years ago where people looked at a whole bunch of cigars that had evidence of "plume", and when looked at under a microscope every single sample was actually mold. That being said, pressed flake pipe tobacco is a whole different beast, so who knows this could actually be the elusive "plume". But regardless, there already mold in, on, and around everything already, so unless it smells/tastes off or is covered in a much bigger fungal growth I wouldn't worry at all.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Well, there was an old thread I read on a cigar forum years ago where people looked at a whole bunch of cigars that had evidence of "plume", and when looked at under a microscope every single sample was actually mold.

I found that thread to be far less convincing than you did.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Perhaps plume is the name we use for mold that won't hurt you and mold for mold that will. There is a visual test that allows one to be discerned from the other which I'm sure you could find by searching this and other forums. Using it, no one, apparently, has turned up dead. Someone would have posted an obituary.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd bet on mold but it seems a lot of SG tobacco develops this light dusting of white stuff. I've had it on mine and just smoked it. I'm still alive so either if it's harmless, plume or has a very long term delayed affect.

Reactions: BROBS

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
That looks like plume to me, basically some mineral content that has leached out over the years, that is largely following the contours of the pressed layers. 7 years of mold growth would make for quite wide webbed spread of hairy beard.

That, as a biochemist by training I can only talk to how molds and other microorganisms grow: you expect an epicentre of growth, with more growth radiating from it. Also, as fungi (mold) and bacteria are living organisms, you expect to be able to observe it grow in a matter of days to a couple of weeks at most: the growth changes day after day (think molded oranges for example).

P.S. love the bolded language sable, accurate, economic, elegant!