PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
Interesting! What is that tube thing hanging out of the broken off tenon? It looks like some sort of filter tube or maybe a past repair?

That’s what I was hoping to find out being my first pipe, looks a bit wonky to me. Bought it restored, and while not particularly expensive, still a bit disappointing.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Yeh, I t looks like someone repaired the broken tenon, which is way harder than just having a new one made. That point in the pipe needs the strength of a perfect tenon fit to prevent what has happened from happening. I would ask the boys here for their favorite repairman. I don't think that having a new tenon made is terribly expensive, but once it's fixed you can use the pipe with more confidence. And, some of these repair guys can even get the logo on the new stem for you.

I'm sorry this has happened. My gut sinks every time I snap a tenon. It's a sickening feeling.

Jan 27, 2020
That’s what I was hoping to find out being my first pipe. Bought it restored, and while not particularly expensive, still a bit disappointing.
Yeh, I t looks like someone repaired the broken tenon, which is way harder than just having a new one made. That point in the pipe needs the strength of a perfect tenon fit to prevent what has happened from happening. I would ask the boys here for their favorite repairman. I don't think that having a new tenon made is terribly expensive, but once it's fixed you can use the pipe with more confidence. And, some of these repair guys can even get the logo on the new stem for you.

I'm sorry this has happened. My gut sinks every time I snap a tenon. It's a sickening feeling.

Thanks for the assessment and sympathy. It sucks when something breaks and for once it’s not due to my carelessness, like losing a cellphone when sober.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can fix it, but a pipe repairman could do so in short order for about thirty bucks, and he/she would know exactly what they're doing, probably a replacement stem. Don't put pipes in any pocket much below your heart. Straight pipes with full length stems (like this one I think) just aren't pocket pipes. Short pipes with thick shanks and stems, bent or straight, work pretty well, but keep them in shirt or inside jacket pockets up around your chest. Pencil shanks and slender stems should never be put in any pocket. Once you get that leverage going against a pipe stem it will snap like a twig every time. Also, it's inadvisable to put a packed pipe that's been lit before in a pocket even though you "see" it is out. Embers can come to life and light up your clothing. The safety officer has spoken.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Wonder how the tenon broke away from the tube.
got bent in your pocket and snapped. old vulcanite is notoriously brittle.

I would try to grab what is sticking out with vice grips and remove the tenon..
then I would have a new stem made.
you could try gluing the tenon/tube back in place.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Wow, it's weird seeing the same names that are well known here on another forum. Ha ha!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
My Comoy's Straw Matt has a non removable stinger that is basically a metal tube that runs into the stem with a seam at the top that looks just like that. I clipped the stinger and had been trying to remove the rest of the tube... but it looks like I should probably leave it alone if it's there for reinforcement! My stem is acrylic so maybe strong enough without it...

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
For the price of the repair, it might be better to grab a band new one. It also depends, of course, on value of the broken one (collectibility, history, &c.) and/or sentimental attachment.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I think I’ll get something more pocket friendly and have this repaired, likely by who was recommended in the thread at some later date. I paid $50 for the pipe and have no sentimental attachment to it although I had an easy time smoking it. I can see how the length and style made it a bit delicate for my pocket, live and learn...

I’m still puffing on it btw puffypuffypuffy

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.