This Comoy Has An Extra Letter Stamped On It...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Working on restoring a Comoy's Extraordinaire 309XL and as I was cleaning the briar I found a stamp I didn't notice earlier.
What is the significance of the "W" stamped on the bottom of the shank near the mortise?
extraordinaire stamp.jpg
w stamp.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
not sure ... I have seen a lot of British pipes that have a letter by the stem.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Production code. I first saw that in 1980 on a Orlik turned bowl that went into a BBB Neptune. I have other Cadogan pipes with such a stamp. BBB, Comoy, Everyman, Civic. All from after 1980 when the Orlik brothers sold the factory to Cadogan.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Production code. I first saw that in 1980 on a Orlik turned bowl that went into a BBB Neptune. I have other Cadogan pipes with such a stamp. BBB, Comoy, Everyman, Civic. All from after 1980 when the Orlik brothers sold the factory to Cadogan.
Thank you. I have four estate Comoy's I'm restoring for possible resale. I'll have to check the briar on them carefully when I get to the other three.

Reactions: BROBS

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Yes, I believe that is post merger from the 1980's or later. Looks like beautiful grain and a very cool pipe!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Stamping is so odd. I have a Barling with a random ass B stamped at the bowl end of the shank. Not even sable knows wtf it means.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have a few here all from after 1980 : Civic deluxe J. Loewe original G, BBB Silver grain also G, BBB Perfect Make E, Comoys London Pride R, BBB Neptune M,

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One thing that is consistent in the Cadogan era for Comoy's and GBD - they each had many oddities, that weren't recorded anywhere. All kinds of different finish lines pop up, also not detailed in any catalogs, etc.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.