PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I have a couple, one was the first pipe I brought. Now the reason for this thread is because I was toying with the idea of getting a larger bowl cob just for aro's. The two cobs I have, in comparison with the pipes I now buy, have tiny bowls.View attachment 51904View attachment 51905
But again thanks to this forum. I think I'll use one of these to first try then an eBay estate. As when I very first started, I went a bit mad and brought just about every pipe on eBay and in as many different shapes as I could. I ended up with 61 pipes ??. It's ok now thou, I've moved on the more expensive eBay pipes and even a couple of new sav's.
I've sold on most of the eBay ones, just kept a few I really like and now again thanks to here, I get only what I like.
Maybe try a Country Gentleman. They have decent bowl size and open draw as mentioned earlier. Probably around $15, plus the stems are cheap.
If you smoked something you really didn't like clean it a bit and leave in the sun a few hours and new stem I doubt you would have a ghosting problem then.

My advice is free and comes with a money back guarantee so you can use it with confidence!;)

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
Maybe try a Country Gentleman. They have decent bowl size and open draw as mentioned earlier. Probably around $15, plus the stems are cheap.
If you smoked something you really didn't like clean it a bit and leave in the sun a few hours and new stem I doubt you would have a ghosting problem then.

My advice is free and comes with a money back guarantee so you can use it with confidence!;)
I shall take it ??

Reactions: Cotton1

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
Tobacco is tobacco, pipes are pipes..It doesn't matter..But what does matter at times is chamber size and shape and the cut of the tobacco. Some chamber sizes or shapes handle certain cuts of tobacco better than others.

As for what pipes I use for aros...In my youth I smoked aros almost exclusively and I did so for 20 years. Consequently of the 40 or so pipes I still have in my collection, I generally reserve the older pipes from that 20 year period for aromatics. It's not so much that I worry about the so-called ghosting because that can be remedied easy enough...It's because I'm God damn anal retentive and I like to keep certain pipes for certain blends.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I prefer a larger pipe or cob for my arros. I have a huge Chacom horn that is great for arros. Fishing I reach for my Devil's egg cob or a big meer that I've smoked the hell out of.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
I have been using a MM cob for my aromatics. However, I am excited to see the difference in Briars. I just ordered a Savenelli Hercules (114EX) and I am hoping to snag a Boswell tonight. Let's see how it goes.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
As you can see, you need to just experiment to see what works for you.

Small Chamber vs Big Chamber, Thick Bowl vs Thin Bowl, Short Shank vs Long Shank, etc., and different Materials, Meerschaum, Briar, Cobs, etc...

I’n the end, what matters most is not about a pipe dedicated for a particular blend, but what particular blend if any seem to smoke better in any particular pipe.

Like some tobaccos might smoke hotter, so you want a pipe that helps deliver a cooler smoke, where as a blend that smokes cooler, you might find a wider range of pipes, easier to smoke in.

It’s been my thoughts and understanding, that the best concerns should be more about achieving a nice cool dry smoke, dry meaning you don’t want wet, because sometimes that could mean getting moisture through the shank and stem, into your mouth, and also having dampness in the chamber.