PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Like cosmic, do you use eBay estate type pipes for your aro's?
Well mainly I just don’t put aros in my handmade or high value pipes. Like my Ascorti or Il Ceppo... handmade BC’s or Peterson Supremes etc. I’ll smoke aros out of other Pete’s and other pipes all day.

I should clarify that by lesser pipe I mean sub-$200

Reactions: Magpiety

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
If I smoke an aro then VA I can usually tases the aro for at least 2 pipes after. So I don’t want to ruin a pipe of 1996 Dunbar with vanilla or berry.

it’s not that I use lesser pipes because I’m worried about ruining a nicer pipe... but because I mainly smoke unflavored (or lightly flavored) stuff and want to use my better pipes without residual flavor.
Some people undoubtedly will have palates developed enough to do this but it might also require intimate knowledge of the blend, such as Dunbar, is supposed to taste like along with a stronger aro.

If I smoked smoke 12 year old St James Flake in a pipe I smoked Exotic Passion in the day before I might be able to tell but probably not with the SJF and Bob's Chocolate Flake or Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

In the same vein, if I smoked said SJF in a pipe I last smoked Exotic Passion in but hadn't used the pipe for several months since I doubt I'd be able to tell.

Reactions: BROBS

Admiral Byrd

Lurker
Jul 9, 2020
Alabama
I smoke aros throughout the day - smoking Wilke’s Vermont Maple right now in a cob - meers and cobs always work well for me with aros. Briars, sometimes are a hit or miss with aros. Some sessions are better than others...might be the pipe, how wet or dry the tobacco is or me. Still learning after 30 years. But, when it is right...it’s right???

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
Well mainly I just don’t put aros in my handmade or high value pipes. Like my Ascorti or Il Ceppo... handmade BC’s or Peterson Supremes etc. I’ll smoke aros out of other Pete’s and other pipes all day.

I should clarify that by lesser pipe I mean sub-$200
We are in such different levels. I've not even heard of Ascorti or Il Ceppo ?.
I have a long long way to go, with pipes and tobacco............

• Haha
Reactions: danish and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Some people undoubtedly will have palates developed enough to do this but it might also require intimate knowledge of the blend, such as Dunbar, is supposed to taste like along with a stronger aro.

If I smoked smoke 12 year old St James Flake in a pipe I smoked Exotic Passion in the day before I might be able to tell but probably not with the SJF and Bob's Chocolate Flake or Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

In the same vein, if I smoked said SJF in a pipe I last smoked Exotic Passion in but hadn't used the pipe for several months since I doubt I'd be able to tell.
See I can pick up a pipe not smoked for months and still taste the aro ghost next smoke.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
See I can pick up a pipe not smoked for months and still taste the aro ghost next smoke.
I'd have to pick it up shortly after but blends like Exotic Passion or Devil's Holiday are more noticeable to me than other blends so I might be able to go longer with them.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If Ghosting is the concern, I was told that you smoke a Straight Burley and it will clean it out, I’ve never tried it yet, maybe others can share on this...

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
If Ghosting is the concern, I was told that you smoke a Straight Burley and it will clean it out, I’ve never tried it yet, maybe others can share on this...
Not so much of a concern really, well not after this thread anyway. More along the train of thought that the aro's would maybe release there full flavour if a pipe was only used for them, not just one blend but all.
Again, this form has given me more information than I could ever need plus a giggle along the way.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Not so much of a concern really, well not after this thread anyway. More along the train of thought that the aro's would maybe release there full flavour if a pipe was only used for them, not just one blend but all.
Again, this form has given me more information than I could ever need plus a giggle along the way.

I’ve yet to dedicate a particular pipe to a particular blend, but many do, maybe in time I will do the same...

Trial by Error - Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained....

Reactions: brut666 and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The good thing is you can always change your mind later, whatever you decide to do. ?

Reactions: brut666

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Only pipe I have dedicated is a cob I use for lakelands and those are about the only aromatics I smoke. Ok I forgot about swra but I smoke that in everything. So I’m going to say the one you enjoy smoking the most.

Reactions: brut666

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I'm in the Cobb camp here. I never seem to have a problem with ghosting in mine and I smoke a variety, but I do keep my lat blends to one pipe.
Every few weeks I pick a sunny day and let my cobbs rest on my porch railing in the sun for a few hours. Seems to work pretty well for me.

Not sure if I missed it, any particular blends ?

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Try a corn cob.They have an above average draw.More air, cooler smoke.At least I think so.I've smoked the Captain Black Copper in a cob, and it was less hot, and more flavor was present than with an average briar with average drillings.Just my opinion.

Reactions: Cotton1

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Have six Bones I use for aromatics. They were my first pipes. But most aromatics leave me feeling I'm missing something. Ones with good tobacco presence works better for me.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
So I was just wondering, what do you guys think the best type of pipe to smoke an aromatic out of.
I think a meer is a good choice, just because of ghosting, cleaning ect.
I thought about keeping an larger cob or a singular briar and thought, I'd see what everyone else's choice was.
When in doubt, always try a cob first! If it's an aromatic blend and it's is new to me, I will first try it in a cob to determine how strong the flavoring is and if I even like it. From there I have a my first briar pipe (a Bjarne Bent Dublin) that is used for general aromatic blends and a cob for heavily flavored blends like Rattray's Exotic Passion and Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday. I plan to someday have a pipe of some sort dedicated for floral and Lakeland blends heavier in flavor than Bob's Chocolate Flake, but that has yet to happen.

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
Try a corn cob.They have an above average draw.More air, cooler smoke.At least I think so.I've smoked the Captain Black Copper in a cob, and it was less hot, and more flavor was present than with an average briar with average drillings.Just my opinion.
I have a couple, one was the first pipe I brought. Now the reason for this thread is because I was toying with the idea of getting a larger bowl cob just for aro's. The two cobs I have, in comparison with the pipes I now buy, have tiny bowls.16057778013481372188428555140181.jpg16057778939511565234814626730106.jpg
But again thanks to this forum. I think I'll use one of these to first try then an eBay estate. As when I very first started, I went a bit mad and brought just about every pipe on eBay and in as many different shapes as I could. I ended up with 61 pipes ??. It's ok now thou, I've moved on the more expensive eBay pipes and even a couple of new sav's.
I've sold on most of the eBay ones, just kept a few I really like and now again thanks to here, I get only what I like.