PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
I usually use lesser pipes because I don't want to ruin them with goopy aros... or possibly with a ghost.
I smoke only VA/VaPer or other unflavored (or lightly flavored) blends from my best pipes.

oddly enough I have found a lot of aros favor a small chamber or a narrow chamber.
At the moment, I seem to enjoy unflavoured tobaccos also. I've assumed, rightly or wrongly that they don't ghost all that much, I thought again, rightly or wrongly that it was only aro's that ghosted.

Reactions: BROBS

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
What type of pipe is best for aromatics? How about all of them!

While I don't have the experience of some people the experience I do have tells me, unless you're smoking an aro (or several aros) over and over again in the same pipe, ghosting is mostly BS.

Smoke an aro, clean your pipe afterwards, and then go back to a VA, VaPer, etc., and enjoy. Unless you smoked an extremely strong aro or have a highly developed palate you'll most likely never, ever be able to tell the difference.

Also, as much as some people like to claim a "straight" blend has nothing added, most blends have some casing and/or topping in them somewhere. Combine that with the fact there is no actual definition for "aromatic pipe tobacco" (at best a person might use the strength or noticeability of the flavoring as a guide) and I fail to see why special pipes are needed and most certainly why anyone would use a "lesser" pipe.

Reactions: BROBS and Elric

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
H
I don't worry so much about ghosting as I do about flavor. For me it depends on the aromatic blend versus what type of pipe. I find that some aromatics just smoke great in a meer while those same blends don't do so well in a cob and vice versa. I usually don't smoke aromatics in briars with the exception of Falcons and there are certain aromatic blends that don't go well in Falcons. It's just experimentation to find what works, based on your own tastes.
Half the fun is the journey. Being put in the right direction is a god send thou.

Reactions: ray47

brut666

Oct 7, 2020

While I don't have the experience of some people the experience I do have tells me, unless you're smoking an aro (or several aros) over and over again in the same pipe, ghosting is mostly BS.

Smoke an aro, clean your pipe afterwards, and then go back to a VA, VaPer, etc., and enjoy. Unless you smoked an extremely strong aro or have a highly developed palate you'll most likely never, ever be able to tell the difference.

Also, as much as some people like to claim a "straight" blend has nothing added, most blends have some casing and/or topping in them somewhere. Combine that with the fact there is no actual definition for "aromatic pipe tobacco" (at best a person might use the strength or noticeability of the flavoring as a guide) and I fail to see why special pipes are needed and most certainly why anyone would use a "lesser" pipe.
If I kept a pipe or two just for aro's, would not enhance the flavour of the different aro's?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any pipe you choose, except for Lakeland aromatics which most feel require a designated pipe, maybe a cob for starters, and if you'll be smoking a Lakeland aromatic regularly, maybe a designated briar. Lakeland aros have that rose geranium thing going, "grandma's bathmat," that ghosts pretty persistently. Otherwise, I think most aromatics can be burned off with a bowl or two of burley or Virginia.

Reactions: kg.legat0

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
My cent and a half: the best pipes for aromatics are pipes you use primarily for smoking aromatics.

I have a few thoroughly broken in cobs that have had nothing but lots of vanilla aros run through them, they're great.

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
Any pipe you choose, except for Lakeland aromatics which most feel require a designated pipe, maybe a cob for starters, and if you'll be smoking a Lakeland aromatic regularly, maybe a designated briar. Lakeland aros have that rose geranium thing going, "grandma's bathmat," that ghosts pretty persistently. Otherwise, I think most aromatics can be burned off with a bowl or two of burley or Virginia.
Oh, easy as that. Don't think I've tried any sort of Lakeland aro yet. If I have, I hadn't realised.

Jan 27, 2020
I have recently been using a sort of meershaum silt which I gently rinse the inside of my pipes with and let it cure for three days in a food dehydrator for smoking aromatics.

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
Use any pie you enjoy! Wipe the bowl when you are done. I smoke VA's and a nightcap with a Heavy lat. I haven't tasted a difference, but I clean my pipes. I don't believe in dedicating a pipe to a family.

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
Use any pie you enjoy! Wipe the bowl when you are done. I smoke VA's and a nightcap with a Heavy lat. I haven't tasted a difference, but I clean my pipes. I don't believe in dedicating a pipe to a family.
I kinda deep clean when I finish with my pipe for the day so hopefully I'd be the same. I just thought a a pioe or two for aro's would help make the flavour "pop". Seems like I'm wrong there thou.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
If I kept a pipe or two just for aro's, would not enhance the flavour of the different aro's?
Except when new and not broken in, I've never noticed a pipe enhancing the flavor of any smoke although there may be something to chamber dimensions affecting the flavor.

If I repeatedly smoked the same blend, such as Rattray's Exotic Passion (and I do smoke a lot of it) in the same pipe without intervening bowls of other blends maybe it would make a difference but then what I really would be doing is purposely ghosting a pipe for a single blend.

There's a massive difference between something like Exotic Passion and GH&C Bob's Chocolate Flake. I smoke a lot of both and just as not wanting a ghost of any aro affecting a VaPer I wouldn't want a ghost of either of these blends affecting the other.

So now you're to the point of dedicating a pipe to a particular blend (not type) or at least similar enough blends. I'd rather just rotate my blends, keep my pipes clean, and not worry about it.

IMO the term "aromatic" is a misnomer and pointless.

Oh, easy as that. Don't think I've tried any sort of Lakeland aro yet. If I have, I hadn't realised.
Not all Lakelands are created equal at least in terms of strength. I love a mild Lakeland but don't care for excessively strong Lakelands. GH&C Dark Flake Unscented = goooood! GH&C Dark Flake Scented = No Bueno. (At least for me. I know others here are the exact opposite.)

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
Except when new and not broken in, I've never noticed a pipe enhancing the flavor of any smoke although there may be something to chamber dimensions affecting the flavor.

If I repeatedly smoked the same blend, such as Rattray's Exotic Passion (and I do smoke a lot of it) in the same pipe without intervening bowls of other blends maybe it would make a difference but then what I really would be doing is purposely ghosting a pipe for a single blend.

There's a massive difference between something like Exotic Passion and GH&C Bob's Chocolate Flake. I smoke a lot of both and just as not wanting a ghost of any aro affecting a VaPer I wouldn't want a ghost of either of these blends affecting the other.

So now you're to the point of dedicating a pipe to a particular blend (not type) or at least similar enough blends. I'd rather just rotate my blends, keep my pipes clean, and not worry about it.

IMO the term "aromatic" is a misnomer and pointless.

Not all Lakelands are created equal at least in terms of strength. I love a mild Lakeland but don't care for excessively strong Lakelands. GH&C Dark Flake Unscented = goooood! GH&C Dark Flake Scented = No Bueno. (At least for me. I know others here are the exact opposite.)
The knowledge here is amazing. Never ceases to amaze me at least.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

If I smoke an aro then VA I can usually tases the aro for at least 2 pipes after. So I don’t want to ruin a pipe of 1996 Dunbar with vanilla or berry.

it’s not that I use lesser pipes because I’m worried about ruining a nicer pipe... but because I mainly smoke unflavored (or lightly flavored) stuff and want to use my better pipes without residual flavor.

Reactions: shanez

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
If I smoke an aro then VA I can usually tases the aro for at least 2 pipes after. So I don’t want to ruin a pipe of 1996 Dunbar with vanilla or berry.

it’s not that I use lesser pipes because I’m worried about ruining a nicer pipe... but because I mainly smoke unflavored (or lightly flavored) stuff and want to use my better pipes without residual flavor.
Like cosmic, do you use eBay estate type pipes for your aro's?