PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
So I was just wondering, what do you guys think the best type of pipe to smoke an aromatic out of.
I think a meer is a good choice, just because of ghosting, cleaning ect.
I thought about keeping an larger cob or a singular briar and thought, I'd see what everyone else's choice was.

Reactions: kschatey and BROBS

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Use whatever kind of pipe you usually smoke, if you mostly smoke briars, set aside a couple briars for aromatics. Otherwise the aromatic tobaccos will always seem “other” or not as good as your normal blends. Aromatics can give you just as much satisfaction as Virginias and English blends, if you treat them the same.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
They say deep bowls are best for aromatics. Like phil said, I keep a few briars dedicated for aromatics, not all of them large, deep bowls. I just tried a few shapes and sizes and decided what worked best for me. I use a half bent bulldog, deeper than wider bowl, a halv bent billiard with a pretty generous size, and for those not so obvious, candy like, soapy, whatever you want to call them blends, I use either a Savinelli Venere (mostly for burley based) and a Danske Club 95 for scented rather than aromatic. That's just what rocks my boat, experiment, I am sure you will find your own ballance in as far as what aromatics tastes good for you in what pipe.

Reactions: kg.legat0 and Elric

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
My aromatic pipes are just ebay estate cheapos, like a Comoy and a Savinelli I picked up for under $80. I'm not sure it really matters. I just keep in mind that aromatics tend to sink deeply into the briar, so I don't want to use a pipe that I know I will want to smoke a Virginia in at some point.
That's what I was thinking.
Couple for aromatics and everything else for everything else.

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
They say deep bowls are best for aromatics. Like phil said, I keep a few briars dedicated for aromatics, not all of them large, deep bowls. I just tried a few shapes and sizes and decided what worked best for me. I use a half bent bulldog, deeper than wider bowl, a halv bent billiard with a pretty generous size, and for those not so obvious, candy like, soapy, whatever you want to call them blends, I use either a Savinelli Venere (mostly for burley based) and a Danske Club 95 for scented rather than aromatic. That's just what rocks my boat, experiment, I am sure you will find your own ballance in as far as what aromatics tastes good for you in what pipe.
It's such a personal hobby this one, it's just great ?

Reactions: kg.legat0

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
Do you have any idea why someone said this? I get so tired of an aromatic after about 45 minutes of smoking. They tend to taste sour at the end. I can't imagine why someone would want a deep bowl for these.
See, I thought a 20-30 minute smoker would be best. A straight to half bent pipe with a relatively small-ish bowl

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I prefer cobs personally. However, if you have an aromatic that you really enjoy, and one that you smoke often, I'd say dedicate a briar to it. If it ghosts your favorite aromatic, I think that's a good thing. Also, lets say that briar now has a vanilla ghosting in it. Some time in the future, you might smoke an English blend or something else and get hints of that vanilla in your smoke. Could lead to some interesting smokes. Ghosting doesn't have to be something to be avoided.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I don't worry so much about ghosting as I do about flavor. For me it depends on the aromatic blend versus what type of pipe. I find that some aromatics just smoke great in a meer while those same blends don't do so well in a cob and vice versa. I usually don't smoke aromatics in briars with the exception of Falcons and there are certain aromatic blends that don't go well in Falcons. It's just experimentation to find what works, based on your own tastes.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've always just used what ever pipe I fancied using at the time. Thinking of keeping one or two just for aro's thou as I don't smoke them often. Getting more and more "involved" with this hobby as the weeks/months roll along.
I usually use lesser pipes because I don't want to ruin them with goopy aros... or possibly with a ghost.
I smoke only VA/VaPer or other unflavored (or lightly flavored) blends from my best pipes.

oddly enough I have found a lot of aros favor a small chamber or a narrow chamber.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I usually use lesser pipes because I don't want to ruin them with goopy aros... or possibly with a ghost.
I smoke only VA/VaPer or other unflavored (or lightly flavored) blends from my best pipes.

oddly enough I have found a lot of aros favor a small chamber or a narrow chamber.

What do you smoke your Newminster 400 in?

Reactions: BROBS

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
I prefer cobs personally. However, if you have an aromatic that you really enjoy, and one that you smoke often, I'd say dedicate a briar to it. If it ghosts your favorite aromatic, I think that's a good thing. Also, lets say that briar now has a vanilla ghosting in it. Some time in the future, you might smoke an English blend or something else and get hints of that vanilla in your smoke. Could lead to some interesting smokes. Ghosting doesn't have to be something to be avoided.
Now there's an interesting thought. I'm still sooooo new at this. I'm not advanced enough yet I don't think to taste the ghosting all that much.

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
I dedicate a few pipes to each type of blend, with one notorious exception. My Stanwell brass band Dublin, which I refer to affectionately as my crack pipe, because I will smoke almost* anything in it. It's an ongoing experiment in ghosting and crossover flavors.

*Mixture 79 need not apply
How's that working out for you?