PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Damn, I'm surprised some aspect of metallurgy didn't kill the guy. Obviously a big mental health problem here, so maybe not as funny as it sounds. Self-destructive behavior takes many forms. I wonder how he got through the metal detector in the ER.

Reactions: mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Damn, I'm surprised some aspect of metallurgy didn't kill the guy. Obviously a big mental health problem here, so maybe not as funny as it sounds. Self-destructive behavior takes many forms. I wonder how he got through the metal detector in the ER.
More tragic than funny, I'd think.

I suspect ER entrances with metal detectors are uniquely American.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Actually, a patient being brought in from an ambulance on a gurney probably isn't put through a metal detector even in the U.S., but they certainly screen people accompanying the patient -- metal detectors, X-raying bags, and all. The medical staff frequently wears tape over their i.d. badges because some of the gunshot victims they see are part of gang violence, and this is at a university research hospital. Yes, the party has gotten rough. The caution is justified, alas. I checked my pocket knife in an envelope with security once, a knife not even suitable for self-defense. It's just what they do.

• Wow
Reactions: Toast and wyfbane