PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloverfield

Lurker
Oct 25, 2016
Apologies in advance if this isn't the right place for this post; happy to move it if there's a more appropriate spot.
Years ago, I had a calabash pipe with a meerschaum bowl. Later, I carved one myself out of a block from a kit. Based on those experiences, I have a pretty good idea of what new meerschaum feels like, but not so much with older pipes. My frame of reference really comes from pictures rather than physical items.
I recently came across this long-stemmed piece while helping a relative clean out his place. It clearly hasn't been smoked in decades (or longer, from the date carved on the bottom). He thought it was meerschaum, but I wasn't sure. It looks like it could be, with the carving and yellowing/browning, but the texture doesn't feel like what I expected. To be honest, it feels like wood -- light, dry, and somewhat dull. If I tap it with a fingernail, it sounds like tapping a piece of wood, not a mineral. So I'm putting it to you folks: any chance of confirming/refuting the meerschaum theory based solely on these photos?
30270843140_d3f50b63e3_m.jpg
[/url][/img]

30270843250_fc3045a060_m.jpg
[/url][/img]

29936164833_63797ededd_m.jpg
[/url][/img]

29936165093_a3d3cf08bd_m.jpg
[/url][/img]
Thanks!

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Looking at the top of the bowl it resembles meers that I have seen that are pretty old. The coloring also makes it look like a Meer, and I see no grain to lead me say it's wood. So I am going with meerschaum, I have never tried tapping on meers to see what sound they make. With tars and the possibility of it coming from different depths when dug up can have effects on the sound it makes when tapping.
I heard meers can be marked when certain types of metals are ran across them, my tungsten wedding band left a small silver line on mine one day by accident. Maybe you can try that out, however the marks can be hell to get out.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
There is a water test to tell the quality of the meershaum if it is meershaum. To me it looks like a pipe made of wood but not briar. Just from tapping my meershaum pipe after you mention it and then a briar pipe it's very hard to tell the difference, actually all my pipes make a bit of a different sound. It looks like an old hunting pipe.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/01/20/the-king-of-pipes-the-meerschaum/

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Most likely meer, old meers with a heavy coating of wax can have a woodlike feel to them, but could also be clay. I have seen old clay pipes in fleabay similar to that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, you could scrape down the cake to see what appears. There are dangers to this, and if you are going to sell it, not a good idea at all.
Edit: Just saw Hagley's post, so there you have it! An almost antique fake of a real antique! Meaning it probably has value to a collector!

cloverfield

Lurker
Oct 25, 2016
Thanks again for the input. Not really looking to sell it since it's been in the family for who-knows-how-long, but I really appreciate the insight!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I can't say one way or the other if it is a Meerschaum pipe, but it is a very cool find. I would take it and display it with my pipe collection as it will make for a great conversation piece.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The thing that puzzles me is I've never seen a meershaum pipe I couldn't say definitely it was a meershaum pipe when looking at it. If it's pressed meershaum like was suggested it will be heavier than briar, my block meershaum is very light.

Sinan Altinok

Lurker
Aug 27, 2011
Ankara, Turkey
The shape suggest it can be an old Austrian made meerschaum pipe. However, I saw some replicas made of either meerschaum and wood.
Can you see the inside of the shank when removed the stem? It must be white or off-white if it is meerschaum. If still looks dark, you can scrape the end gently just to see what.
Also, weight can be a clue as Andy suggests. In general, a standard size block meerschaum pipe (eg. ~2.0 inch bowl height, 25/32 inch tobacco chamber diameter) must be of between 45-58 gr (1.6-2.0 oz.) in weight.
Happy smokes

Status
Not open for further replies.