PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pathos

Lurker
Mar 5, 2019
British Columbia
Well, after about a year of smoking a pipe, I think I've finally got it figured. Been packing the pipe much looser than I was initially, and I light the tobacco keeping the flame away and sucking it in, rather than with the flame directly on it. Now I'm getting the flavours from aromatics, rarely re-lighting and "smoking down to only the finest white ash". I've tested myself by packing parfaits to detect when I've reached different blends and am able to notice the switch.

With these recent discoveries comes a new problem however...My smokes are too damned short! Might need a MacArthur classic to make them last longer now. Also need to get my hands on some straight Burley, Virginia, Perique blends, and the like so I can learn the flavours of the different leaf.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The next trick to learn. When I was packing tighter my smokes would last me around that time. However I was re-lighting too often and rarely coaxing the flavour out. There's always one more thing isn't there? Lol.
Producing as little smoke as possible is the trick there. If those around me didn't know I was smoking, they would assume I was just there with a pipe in my mouth.

dkmdvm

Lurker
Feb 7, 2020
I think alot of it has to do with how much attention you pay to smoking your pipe. At this point, I can make a small amt of smoke, avoid a bunch of relights and taste the tobacco, but I have to really pay attention. If I'm working, talking or reading, I have more trouble with all the above. I think and hope the skill comes with practice. I'm better than I was when I started a few months ago, but want to improve.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Try somewhat tighter, but make sure to leave full air flow. Make sure bottom of the chamber has plenty of room and not packed. This should last longer and might give more flavor. I pack my pipe rather tight, but make sure bottom is open and full air flow. Maybe one or two relights if I'm too slow dumping the ash and running the pipe cleaner.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Producing as little smoke as possible is the trick there. If those around me didn't know I was smoking, they would assume I was just there with a pipe in my mouth.
You've made this comment before and it's always intrigued me. Can you expound upon this a bit? Is it solely down to using the breath smoking technique correctly and having a light enough pack? Thanks.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It's mostly just smoking just enough to keep the pipe from going out.
This is the best advice I've picked up on this site.

Sometimes I still puff a little too fast and, even with small sips, get my pipe a little too hot.
Sometimes I don't puff enough and have to keep relighting.

Gentle relights don't seem to have any negative effects so if I get my pipe too hot I just let it go out for a bit. My definition of too hot is when the pipe starts to feel more than just warm.

Right on the edge of just lit is where the flavor is at!

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Now you need to practice slow smoking. A pipe with a chamber depth of 1.5 inches lasts me around 90 minutes.
Wow, thats impressive! Any tips on slowing the cadence?

I’ve been smoking cigarettes on and of for two decades and in the process of quitting now, while also transitioning into pipe smoking. My main trouble is going slow with it, as I like intense flavour and sipping slowly doesnt always give me that. So any tips are appreciated.

Reactions: Pipelady20

PipesRock

Jan 21, 2020
Florida

I’ve been smoking cigarettes on and of for two decades and in the process of quitting now, while also transitioning into pipe smoking. My main trouble is going slow with it, as I like intense flavour and sipping slowly doesnt always give me that. So any tips are appreciated.
Stronger blends. Train your brain that when the pipe is in hand it's great scotch or bourbon slowly sipping the flavors. Then tell yourself, cigs are your ice cold beer on a hot afternoon. After a while it won't require much thought. Disclaimer... I'm still new to the hobby and not a cig smoker, but I feel your pain trying not to rush the smoke.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I happen to enjoy big billows of smoke on occasion. I will sip, usually with breathe method while clenching, but once in a while take a few puffs to get a nice mouthful of smoke.

Severus

Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Stronger blends. Train your brain that when the pipe is in hand it's great scotch or bourbon slowly sipping the flavors. Then tell yourself, cigs are your ice cold beer on a hot afternoon. After a while it won't require much thought. Disclaimer... I'm still new to the hobby and not a cig smoker, but I feel your pain trying not to rush the smoke.
Good analogy, @PipesRock. Its easier said than done, though :D

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Practice drawing only enough to keep the pipe lit. It's going to go out on you some, but keep it up until you get a feel for when the ember is just about to go out.

There's breath smoking too.

Reactions: Severus