PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
I'm not going to try and quantify the meaning of a good blend, but when I tried Chelsea Morning and Blackpoint I found them unremarkable.

My first experience with Latakia was mixing bulk Latakia with G.L.Pease Cairo (either 50% or 25% Latakia), and it was a revelation.

Gaslight was a continuation of that.

My tastebuds like to be clubbed over the head more than gently introduced to flavour, but there's still room for variation within that concept. If you can point to a light English that still has kick I'm all ears.

The idea behind this thread is to point to G.L. Pease blends that knock your tastebuds out of the park, Latakia doesn't strictly have to be the main player but the others should compete on the same level.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Chelsea Morning is an incredibly complex smoke. In my experience it takes a slow and delicate hand to draw out what the blend has to offer but it's well worth the effort.
Reno

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
If you found Blackpoint lacking in flavor, I'm not sure what to tell you. That's a pretty big blend, my favorite of the fuller latakia blends. Maybe Abingdon?

Mar 1, 2014
It's been a long time so I'll probably love those blends when I try them again, but Gaslight was love at first sight for a total newb, so I just think that type of blend deserves special attention.

When I was searching for G.L. Pease blends similar to Gaslight I didn't find a lot of threads with that specific focus so I made sure to start one.

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
Chelsea Morning is an incredibly complex smoke. In my experience it takes a slow and delicate hand to draw out what the blend has to offer but it's well worth the effort.
Reno
No truer words have been spoken, Reno. Slow and steady with the Chelsea Morning and smoking bliss will ensue!

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
As an afterthought, i would love to see this thread question put exclusively to people who HAVE smoked all of them...
I've not had Lagonda or Sextant, and have only had a few bowls each of Piccadilly, Abingdon, and Caravan, but I've smoked lots of all the others. But my tastes have become really peculiar: I want complexity over power, am pretty much done with the heavy latakia blends, and don't like sweet latakia mixtures at all.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Quiet Nights. As in the name, I taste the Orientals as soothing, and by that I mean that they are flavorful yet somehow understated; comparatively, the Orientals in Gaslight are more vigorous. In both cases they taste very complementary.

Status
Not open for further replies.