PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Tell us. Get it out of your system. I'll start.
I hate it when I'm trying to finish a pipe so I can go to bed but the tobacco refuses to be exhausted and it's smoking so well, I wouldn't dare interfere.
jay-roger.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hmmm. The pipe is finished for the night when I say it is. That may mean there's plenty of unsmoked tobacco in the bowl- that I'll deal with in the a.m.
As to what I hate- not knowing for certain what is in a blend that makes me semi-nauseous.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Nothing, really.
There is some hassle that comes along but there is solutions and tricks for everything.

Like windproof lighters, recently got a zippo for that purpose.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I reckon the wind either blowing freshly exhaled smoke back in my mouth when I inhale or the wind catching the top of my bowl when I'm not expecting it to and heating it up like a volcano in a short amount of time. Or when the wind blows by, dipping a finger in the ash in top of the bowl and flicking it in the general direction of my eyes.
Looking at this short list though makes me think my problem is with the wind, not pipe smoking....

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
long prep time. picking the blend, checking moisture level, drying, loading, finding 45+ min window. then getting interrupted while enjoying the smoke.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
long prep time. picking the blend, checking moisture level, drying, loading, finding 45+ min window
You make it sound like a chore :?
I don't hate anything about pipe smoking but I do find the prices of some accessories very irritating. There's absolutely no reason in the world (other than that some people will actually pay it) that a 4x6 inch leather pouch should cost $150 or an ashtray with a piece of cork glued to it $75

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
long prep time. picking the blend, checking moisture level, drying, loading, finding 45+ min window. then getting interrupted while enjoying the smoke.
I get most of that done in five minutes while getting ready for work.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Just yesterday I was smoking in the car and placed my pipe on my travel coffee mug in my center console to run into a store. Upon my return I hit the stem of the pipe, it spun quickly and ashes flew everywhere.
I smoked 3 bowls yesterday and cleaning up the mess would have been the worst part of it all.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Nothing. I hate everything else, though.

Perfect.
Having to do anything while smoking or for 15-20 minutes thereafter. My lady knows that if I get up to go outside and smoke, I am fair game for any little chores while I'm up, but that I'd rather be left to relax for a little while after. My pipes are my time to relax.

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
When you are almost at the bottom of the bowl and the tobacco has became too condensed that you can't draw smoke anymore. To make sure that the tobacco is actually finished, you poke on it with your pipe tool and found that there are indeed still some un-burnt tobacco left. At this point, since you rearranged the content, now a tiny piece tobacco had blocked the airhole. You now have no choice other than taking them pipe stem of to push that piece of tobacco back to the chamber. :| :| :|

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Embers, honestly I have one and I use it daily. This particular bowl is too large for the wind cap I have, so I use a wine cork cut to the right size. I rolled the dice this time and lost, ha. But for those who don't have a wind cap, definitely worth the 2 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.