They Missed Out Bananas, Mushrooms & Baked Beans.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Going over my Asda online shopping list I spotted a new 'version' of Woodford Reserve bourbon. Called "Limited Holiday Edition" it is basically the same as regular WR only 43.2% (as opposed to the usual 40%) and a fancy label.....oh and a fancy price to boot!

However it was the allergy advice that was listed for the product that caught my eye and it reads as thus...

"Allergy Advice:
Free From: Almonds, Barley, Brazil Nuts, Cashew Nuts, Celery, Cereals Containing Gluten, Crustaceans, Eggs, Hazelnuts, Lupin, Macadamia Nut / Queensland Nut, Milk, Molluscs, Mustard, Nuts, Oats, Peanuts, Pecan Nuts, Pistachio Nuts, Rye, Sesame, Soya, Sulphur Dioxide/Sulphites, Walnuts, Wheat."

Why on earth do they feel the need to write such nonsense, I mean "free from crustaceans, mustard, molluscs" etc? Who on earth would think their bourbon might contain traces of lobster, oyster, milk etc.

It reminds me of the warning label on a jar of peanut butter that read "may contain traces of peanuts"!

Despite the advice being nonsense it is actually wrong as the recipe for WR states 72% corn, 18% rye and 10% malted barley and if I'm not mistaken corn contains gluten!

The world has gone mad.

Regards,

Jay.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
All of my tobacco is vegan…so there’s that…

But, yes, we have reached the point where the Gods of the Copybook Headings are soon to make their return.

Reactions: cossackjack

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
;
What about insects that may have got in there during gathering and processing.
Or even dandruff ?
Nice try - I'm still having some single malt after work tonight as Thanksgiving officially begins with an evening of reflection! Tomorrow - ugh! A bedroom that's become a throw anything in it that needs clearing so my dad has a place to sleep, lots of bread kneading (Paul Hollywood does it by hand, so do I!), some dishes to make ahead including a chocolate pecan pie, tons of wood to stack in the garage, misc. laundry, lol - the wife works tomorrow and I don't so there's a list! I'll probably be too tired for any reward, lol.

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
I remember an infomercial on Talisker and, due to a poor translation, the tasting notes included "oyster liqueur". Now, if there's any entrepreneur looking for ideas in the room...

• Haha
Reactions: timelord

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You never know what some customer will dream up to get a bit of free money. Pesky/greedy customers aligning with less than ethical attorneys are a pox on companies and we the shareholders. This is not to disparage the person with a valid/legitimate complaint.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why on earth do they feel the need to write such nonsense, I mean "free from crustaceans, mustard, molluscs" etc? Who on earth would think their bourbon might contain traces of lobster, oyster, milk etc.

It reminds me of the warning label on a jar of peanut butter that read "may contain traces of peanuts"!
Jay,

Just a sign of the times. People sue over everything, at the drop of a hat, if it will make them some unearned cash. All this boilerplate is designed to inure the producer from liability.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I was told that on a bottle cap was printed "Do not place in mouth or swallow." The only reason a company would put something that stupid on a bottle cap is because some idiot must have swallowed a bottle cap and sued the company. So the disclaimers are to protect them from the idiots of the world.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was told that on a bottle cap was printed "Do not place in mouth or swallow." The only reason a company would put something that stupid on a bottle cap is because some idiot must have swallowed a bottle cap and sued the company. So the disclaimers are to protect them from the idiots of the world.
Exactly. Not only the idiots of the world, which are significant in number, but also the lawyers who love them.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I've seen those "may contain peanuts" warnings on peanut butter in UK and Australia.

In Brazil (well, at least on the jar that I have in the kitchen) the allergy warning simply states "contains peanuts"; which given the ingredients lists only peanuts (no preservatives, no emulsifiers, no other added nasties) still seems a bit unnecessary.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You guys are railing against a straw man of your own making. The label says what it doesn't contain. It's not a warning, but an advertisement of sorts. It's also a joke as it says it doesn't have barley or rye.

Oy!!
On consideration, you do make a point here. Someone is having a laugh in this instance.

But to address Jay's more existential question, WHY?, all of these disclaimers are to avoid liability.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
what I world we inhabit?
Someone swallows a bottle top and instead of saying
It's your own fault for being stupid,we get warnings stamped on them.

What ever happened to common sense and owning your mistakes.

I agree by the way its down to greed and complicit lawyers

Reactions: sablebrush52