PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Hello all, I just got a new (to me) pipe and I was trying it out today with Plum Pudding Special Reserve. This is only the second time I have tried this tobacco, and I noticed something that I didn't notice the first time; the ash was very fine. My normal "breathing" technique actually caused bits of periodic snowfall. A bit of very fine ash depositing on the rim and on me.

I am not that experienced with pipe, but I haven't noticed this before. I did everything I normally do, although based on my previous experience with this PPSV I did pack the bowl a little looser than normal. It burned very well, not much problem with heat, and the taste was fine.

Why is this ash so fine? Is it the preparation of the tobacco from the factory? Is it something me or my pipe could possibly be doing? Is this normal?

Jun 25, 2021
England
It's the pipe fairies that are responsible for this type of thing, I'm sure they are.

A while ago I finished smoking my pipe, and when I came to empty the ash there was nothing in there. Totally clean as a whistle, not a trace of anything on the pipe cleaner. wiped it out with a paper towel ...nothing.
It's only happened the one time. I think that's because I forgot to thank them. ?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Because the tobacco was dry enough and loosely packed. And I assume trapped properly as you smoked. This blend also breaks up easily into small pieces.

Reactions: Ryan

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's the pipe fairies that are responsible for this type of thing, I'm sure they are.

A while ago I finished smoking my pipe, and when I came to empty the ash there was nothing in there. Totally clean as a whistle, not a trace of anything on the pipe cleaner. wiped it out with a paper towel ...nothing.
It's only happened the one time. I think that's because I forgot to thank them. ?
Sounds like you forgot to pack the bowl! Haha

Sounds like you forgot to pack the bowl! Haha
Hell, I’m always forgetting something, usually important things. Just the other day, I was standing around in the yard trying to remember when I had packed the pipe I was smoking. But, my wife wasn’t as impressed with me having forgotten when I had packed the pipe, as much as she was infuriated that I was in the yard without any pants. Women…. always worried about something. puffy

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Are you breathing out through the pipe? That's supposed to be very soft, and not very often. Supposed to keep the ember going per some, supposed to cool the smoke per other, not clear why it's suggested in some instruction videos, but go easy if you are doing it.

Reactions: saltedplug and Ryan

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Are you breathing out through the pipe? That's supposed to be very soft, and not very often. Supposed to keep the ember going per some, supposed to cool the smoke per other, not clear why it's suggested in some instruction videos, but go easy if you are doing it.
Im imagining this now. ??

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I am breathing out through the pipe a bit. Softly. Bascically, the exact same way as usual but with different results, because of this very fine ash. No matter how soft I went, it seemed a little of this ash came out. As if it were lighter than air. Lol

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

Did you check your clothes, your seat and surroundings ? ?