There's Stupid.....and Then There's Stupid.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The original Darwin Awards couldn't be issued unless the person died from his stupidity. Of course, with everybody and his brother issuing DA's the criteria is going to get watered down. Granted this guy went above and beyond the call of stupid.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I went in my younger days after service in S Asia, into a hole in the wall juke joint in New Orleans and after ordering a beer, saw an unexplored Claymore over the door pointing towards the bar, took my beer and got the hell out of there. Wondered for years about that, stupidy has no bounds.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
That's what happens when you try to put stuff like that in your carry-ons. If they had just left it in a checked bag, it'd probably have gone unnoticed. Too bad the metal detector pretty much ruins the third option, which is to smuggle it on board rectally. That'd be a strip-search for the ages...
I doubt it would have gone unnoticed in checked luggage at Ben Gurion airport; I've flow in/out of there a couple of times and security at that place is a whole level beyond what you'll see at US or European airports.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I was doing an estate clean out many years ago with a friend. I found an old trunk in the basement, next to the oil tank, with a silverish pineapple grenade. My friend who was a veteran began tossing it up and down saying it was a practice dummy. I begged him to put it down and told him it was real. We called the police who blocked off the street and called the fire department who sent three trucks to close the neighborhood, they then called the State Police Bomb Squad who sent one officer in a regular car who went into the house with a small toolbox and removed the grenade. As he was leaving he said to my friend and me "It's Live ! Its good thing you didn't juggle it in any way ... It's a WWI grenade and the explosive gets very unstable and could go off!" I looked at my friend ... I have never seen anyone including the dead turn so white !

The city police told us they got a call every few weeks because all the old veterans brought stuff home from the wars. WW1 pineapple grenades were silver; WWII pineapple grenades green --- for future reference ! The good ol' days !