There Appears To Be A New Law In The UK Regarding Loose Tobacco Sales.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
60 Fresh Neerup Pipes
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just wandered over to the website of Johnny's Tobacconist here in Cornwall and spotted this statement....

"Please also note: We’re unable to sell packs of loose tobacco that are larger than 100g in weight following advice about tobacco sales from Trading Standards."

I've no idea when that was first implemented but it certainly doesn't sound good.

Regards,

Jay.?

• Sad
Reactions: Casual

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I just wandered over to the website of Johnny's Tobacconist here in Cornwall and spotted this statement....

"Please also note: We’re unable to sell packs of loose tobacco that are larger than 100g in weight following advice about tobacco sales from Trading Standards."

I've no idea when that was first implemented but it certainly doesn't sound good.

Regards,

Jay.?
I thought you couldn't buy over 100g in a pouch or tin there for quite some time?
Although I've seen some places selling bulk but they may have been individually 50g packed.
seems like a technicality though as you could just buy 5, 100g packs.. correct?

Reactions: anotherbob

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
My overlord and master - er, I mean my dear and beloved employer from which all things good and righteous flow in a most excellent rain of benevolent grace - just announced all employees will be subject to an automatic nicotine use surcharge unless we agree to abstinence and regular blood tests.

So it just got more expensive by $30 per month and dear leader can kiss my ass.

These fuckers are frog boilers extraordinaire.

Meh, I’m gonna go smoke a pipe of Dunhill Ready Rubbed now and wish a raging incurable case of genital warts on a certain capitalist prig.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
My overlord and master - er, I mean my dear and beloved employer from which all things good and righteous flow in a most excellent rain of benevolent grace - just announced all employees will be subject to an automatic nicotine use surcharge unless we agree to abstinence and regular blood tests.

Meh, I’m gonna go smoke a pipe of Dunhill Ready Rubbed now and wish a raging incurable case of genital warts on a certain capitalist prig.

Is this serious? I don't know where you live but how can this be legal? What happens if you refuse the bloodtests and refuse to pay the fee? Do all nonsmokers have to take bloodtests regularly?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Is this serious? I don't know where you live but how can this be legal? What happens if you refuse the bloodtests and refuse to pay the fee? Do all nonsmokers have to take bloodtests regularly?
it's called voluntary employment.. you'd be fired.
an employer can make you do basically whatever they want.

if they told you that you must tape your ballsack to your leg every day before entering the office, and you didn't.. you could be fired.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
it's called voluntary employment.. you'd be fired.
an employer can make you do basically whatever they want.

if they told you that you must tape your ballsack to your leg every day before entering the office, and you didn't.. you could be fired.

That's in USA? I couldn't imagine this was possible here in Finland or in any country with unions and social benefits. Workers are generally heavily unionized here and social benefits somewhat extensive (shouldn't go homeless or starve to death at least without a job).

I know there are smokeless workplaces where you can't smoke on employer's time or premises, but I imagine nicotine bloodtest would forbid smoking on free time too, because of the long lasting metabolites... Some employers do hire on the condition that pisstest must be taken if one must operate heavy machinery but they test for illegal narcotics and such.

What's next, brain scans to check if your thoughts align with corporate policies?

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Years ago my employer - a UK company - won a significant contract with a large US financial services company. There were a couple of stumbling blocks in the contract finalisation:

1. As a European company we were required to include an anti-bribery statement in the contract (basically saying we wouldn't try and bribe or accept bribes from their employees) - for some reason their lawyers took exception to this but in the end let it stand as without it we couldn't sign the contract;

2. They insisted we incorporate their policy on random testing drug and alcohol testing of employees. In the end we accepted this in the contract and added it to our employment contracts. Having done this and got the contract signed we all went down the pub for the afternoon to celebrate. As far as I know no such tests were ever carried out.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That's in USA? I couldn't imagine this was possible here in Finland or in any country with unions and social benefits. Workers are generally heavily unionized here and social benefits somewhat extensive (shouldn't go homeless or starve to death at least without a job).

I know there are smokeless workplaces where you can't smoke on employer's time or premises, but I imagine nicotine bloodtest would forbid smoking on free time too, because of the long lasting metabolites... Some employers do hire on the condition that pisstest must be taken if one must operate heavy machinery but they test for illegal narcotics and such.

What's next, brain scans to check if your thoughts align with corporate policies?
Yep probably.
same as testing for legal drugs and denying employment. They do that too.

Wanna see something crazy? look up Japan’s waistline law.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016

I work for a small business, am not an owner, but have some substantial profit sharing rights. Basically, it feels much like being self-employed. I'm constantly on the hook trying to get things done for clients, and it's hard to actually get away long enough to take a vacation, but then I remember the days of corporate BS and remember why I came here in the first place (not that I really forgot) and feel a powerful sense of freedom for never having to deal with that crap again.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The "Karen Personality" has always been around.

The enormous (and ever-growing) trove of personal information---and the behavior(s) that can be inferred from it---provided by Social Media has put the world's Karens into a state of non-stop orgasmic bliss.

All they have to do, you see, is put themselves into positions of legal authority. That's usually done at the lowest level first, like homeowner's associations and city councils. Then the most vicious and motivated work their way upward until no one can deny their demands.

The coming years will be nothing if not entertaining. Waistline laws and similar are just the beginning. lol

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Nicotine is not an illegal substance, so there's no legitimate grounds to execute the above-mentioned tests, I'd simply refuse, nicotine use in any form is not base for termination of any employment relationships, at lest here
Here a company could take cholesterol tests and deny anyone above a certain level if they so desired.
There is little protection for a worker in the US unless a member of a powerful union.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
With DNA mapping and the ability of computers to store and cross-check massive amounts of data, I'm afraid people's health data will become something big corporate will use to deny insurance, employment and who knows what else.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
With DNA mapping and the ability of computers to store and cross-check massive amounts of data, I'm afraid people's health data will become something big corporate will use to deny insurance, employment and who knows what else.
however here in the US .. the HIPAA laws are pretty strong so I'm not sure that will happen anytime soon.
They can however require whatever private testing they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.