PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
So I just read the thread on the Capstan Blue and the birthday year Zulu and it made me post this question. My 50th birthday will be coming up in a few years and I have been looking for a birth year pipe that I thought I would buy to celebrate. My birth year is 1970 and I have been looking at Dunhill but should I? What are some good briar pipes of that time frame that I should be looking for and not break the bank?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I’d say go for it. I was born in 1971and luckily found one someone was willing to sell. It’s kinda cool smoking a pipe same age as you.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Dunhill and Castello are safe bets for sure. Most of the Italian schools split from Castello after 1973, thus Many don’t have 1970 years. Savinelli is possible to find a date stamped 1970, but they weren’t super popular until the later 1970’s. Others are hit and miss on the collectors market due to unreliable markings that can be reliably traced.
My 1970 Castello was actually made in 1970, but Castello didn’t release it until a few years ago. Thus it was a 40 year old virgin when I got it. They do that rarely, release pipes from their vast collection. The price tag was a bit high, but I have no regrets. Start your search now and ask around, you might get lucky before your 50th.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
One day I'll own a Castello. Dunhill pipes can be found at a reasonable price. If you find a bigger one from that time frame it should be an excellent smoker.
I really am fond of Savinelli and handmade Stanwell pipes for looks and smoking properties. I am on the hunt for a new old Stanwell now, so be sure not to bid on any in the next couple days. I would say look for something that really speaks to you, and pull the trigger.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You want a birth year pipe. Lots of pipes being made in 1970. Neither Dunhill or Castello come cheap, but of course if you're willing to put the time into the search, you might be rewarded. I would think you don't want just any pipe to mark your birth, that you will especially treasure for that reason when you smoke it. The forums stay busy with discussions about what makes a pipe high-end, and not all such discussions end well. What I'm saying is that a pipe correctly drilled with a shape and finish that appeals might be your candidate despite all the opinions about whether such a pipe is worthy of your purchase.
You might contract Marty Pulvers, Mike Glukler and Pipestud for their help. I almost never buy from eBay sellers, but searching this and other forums would yield names of other reputable sellers. Also, there are many other sellers for your eyes; hundreds, I think.
Good luck.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Another higher end brand you might want to check out that you can get cheaper than a Castello often on ebay is Caminetto. There are a lot of 70s era to be found.
Savinelli Estalla is another 70s era. They have a lot of rustication and nicely colored lucite stems.
My experience with sellers on ebay has for the most part been good. I got a few of my favorite pipes from someone who was selling a deceased relatives collection that stated they did not know much about pipes, but they were priced fair and worth the chance. The sellers were super nice, and they were great to deal with and happy the pipes went to someone who had a love for them. If they don't deal a lot of pipes make sure they accept returns because there are things people just don't know to look for, but you may get a good pipe cheaper because they can't charge what the bigger sellers can charge. If they do deal pipes regularly, and have a good rating I would say they are safe. I don't like to see sellers that aren't the bigger stores dogged because I have dealt with some very good ones. You can tell if a seller is passionate about delivering good pipes.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Lots of pipes being made in 1970
Ahhhhh 1970 I remember it well...
k2vp50ke55bo30.jpg

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Looking at all of those colorful pipes reminds me of a handful of balloons.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Around 84/85 US Tobacco allowed Grabow to write off excess inventory. This was done by burying over $100,000 worth of color pipes in the sawdust pile at the old factory.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've campaigned from time to time on Forums for year-stamping pipes, for just this reason. I think it was sable who pointed out that this causes a marketing problem when people would take a date stamp as an excuse to ask for a lower price for "older" pipes. In the pipe culture, I would hope it would not have this effect, but I understand the issue. Some brands, like Luciano, which I believe has discontinued production, did year-stamp their pipes, and my go-to N.C. carver Jerry Perry etches the year of his pipes on them, next to his name. I think it is a shame that the notably high-priced Dunhills are the only pipe that can be regularly purchased as a birth-year or other special year pipe.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I agree. I believe every artisan pipe I own has a date. I am just trying to find something special for my 50th in a few years. Who knows, maybe I will just settle for a higher end artisan pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
midwest', maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but you could commission a pipe from a carefully selected carver. giving him specific ideas about what you want, but also giving him (or her) plenty of artistic latitude, so you get an example of their best signature work, and specifying that they stamp or etch the year on the pipe in a visible way. (?)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The quintessential birth year pipe is the Dunhill. Your birth date coincides with the first year Dunhill stopped oil curing their briars. Some collectors won't buy anything past 1969 because of this. I would recommend you buy a 1969 that was sold in 1970. I think there is a way to determine that and if not, just say to yourself, you were conceived in 1969 or you were a thought in your parents mind in 1969, works for me.
I recently bought a 1966 and a 1967 Dunhill LB. To my eye they are the perfect billiard, I just love their looks. They are both fine smokers, cool and dry and very well made.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Yes, I would have to also recommend Dunhill. It took me about 6 years to find my 1957 one. I have had other

Dunhills before and they all smoked good but not great so when mine arrived I did not expect too much, however it turned out to be my best smoker among many great pipes.
During my search there were 1 or 2 popped up every year for sale but they were usually a shape I did not like, way overpriced or in poor condition. Start the search now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.