PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are lots of good pipe youTube instructions on many useful subjects for both a pipe beginner and more experienced smokers. So I don't dismiss the worthy work of people who produce these for at least no direct cost to the viewer "students." All respect to the hard-working souls. But lets face it, there are a world of really awful videos, or videos with some worthwhile information but done with almost rude indifference. Please, please don't post links. (You can if you want, but I for one won't watch them.) This thread is for telling about some of the worst characteristics of bad youTube videos on pipes. Here's my list of no-no's or please-don'ts.
1. No script, no rehearsal, no plan, no set-up. Let it all happen, while you "um" and "er" and dig around for the props. A five minute video with thirty seconds of content.
2. Mr. Personality, lots of jokes and conversation, and forgetting what the subject was, asides, digressions, and dubious assertions.
3. Weird backgrounds. Is this your childhood bedroom? Is that an exercise bicycle and a hula hoop in the background? A Mickey Mouse lamp from third grade? Where am I?
4. Okay, you have some really eye-catching and conspicuous (expensive!) tattoos, but maybe better wear long sleeves and keep the focus on your subject?
5. Weird pauses to snuffle, snort, belch, sigh, squeak your chair, shuffle your props, suck on your pipe and blow smoke rings. Gurgle.
Just add your own items to the list. Please no links -- please, please, please.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Poor lighting! Definitely not unique to the pipe community, but a symptom of You-tubing in general. There are a few that front and side light correctly, but it is rare.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Nagativity towards blends or pipe brands or even methods/techniques. I've seen a lot of videos where the person slams one thing or another. I'm never interested in the slamming of products and it just makes me not want to watch. Tell me what you like about this or that, not so much what you don't like. Negativity turns me off.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I have to disagree with the complaints. If people choose YouTube as a way of sharing their interests, who are we to criticize. Some channels are done rather professionally, others quite the opposite. Not everyone has the funds or skills to make great videos - but at least they are participating in a community. No need to shame or chase them away. Different strokes for different folks. Don’t like the content? Then don’t consume it. Piping has a bit of snobbery to it, which I don’t support. Do what makes you happy!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
When you're getting something for free, you really don't have much grounds for complaining its not good enough.
Let them be and vote with your mouse clicks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tried to give credit to the effort. And frankly, I hope, probably vainly, that listing a few oft-made mistakes might make some video producers organize themselves a little better. You can start with an outline. You can clean up the background (a little anyway). As pointed out, you can consider the lighting. Many do a fine job with spare resources, which is kind of inspiring. And running through the material a few times is easy, can be fun, and makes a world of difference. This cranky thread could be truly helpful to some. Constructive criticism intended, with a dash of humor.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I tried to give credit to the effort. And frankly, I hope, probably vainly, that listing a few oft-made mistakes might make some video producers organize themselves a little better.

I agree! I completely understand your original intention. :puffpipe:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
^^^^ THIS ^^^^
I agree, but I also agree that constructive criticism can be helpful when sought. So I agree with all of the observations made above and would also add that many of these videos are overly long with unstructured ramblings about vague stuff that has little to do with what is supposedly being presented, offer a pile of misinformation or outright ignorance on their topic, etc. But it's also true that most of these videos are vanity projects, done for the personal amusement of the perpetrator, and not really to benefit anyone else, so critiques are essentially useless.
And there are a few, a very few, videos that are sparkling gems, glittering in a field of fertilizer.
Not nearly enough, however, so I've voted with my mouse clicks and avoid them like the plague.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
^^Constructive criticism^^. Mso is right. We should all be able to handle a little criticism, the goal of which is improvement. He's not suggesting anything outlandish, just saying put some thought into what you are doing to provide a better product. Some people would see the sense of it and adjust accordingly, others would chose to be offended rather than admit that they could have done a better job.

When I have time to set down and watch something, I am not going to waste my time on poorly edited pieces of homemade crap that fills the sewer system we know as Youtube. There are so many awesome movies, series, shows, with any of them from the entire history of movies at our fingertips. All I have to do is think of a movie, and within a minute, I can be watching it. Why the Hell would I waste even a friggin' minute on watching something as crappy as a homemade video?

I'm always trying to figure out the appeal to my wife of watching pet videos on Youtube. And, hearing about guys watching other guys smoke a pipe on there is just as baffling to me. If you had of told me that one day we would get all of media at our beckoning command, and people will chose to watch human refuse, I wouldn't believe it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In many fields, the least propitious seemingly untalented beginner can evolve into among the best, both with encouragement and a bit of challenge. That said, the art of teaching (which many youTube videos attempt) is a rare and beautiful thing. Few of us have that gift, and the people who have it, simply glow. I can teach if I work very hard, but I have been close to people who are natural talents. It's part of their DNA.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I totally understand constructive criticism, but I also vote with clicks. I haven't watched a YouTube pipe video in quite a while, because I come here and offer my cents.
I've been told I have a face for long distance radio, so I'm in no position to even give any criticism since it is hard to be the Man in the Arena.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One stumble for beginners is to think that longer is better. If you can do an informative youTube in 45 or 180 seconds, that is much better than the same material stretched to four, five, or eight minutes. Brevity is the soul of wit, but also of information.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
It's spring and the daffodils are in bloom. Which causes me to remember Narcissus. Perhaps youtube (and internet/social media) may be the ultimate trap for the narcissist. Better than a pool of water by far.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most have some narcissus to them. I've always noticed that some intensely shy people who fear conversation, when asked to speak at the microphone, are first almost numb with silence, but once they get rolling, they have a hard time stopping.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I stop watching the ones that are done with no research into the topic being presented. To hold up blend of tobacco and say you have no idea what goes into the blend is ludicrous when its so easy to go to tobaccoreviews.com and do a search. The same when discussing estate pipes and talking about the logo on the stem or the stamping and not knowing who made it. There are websites that while not all inclusive, does a good job it identifying most pipes.
I'm going to have to agree with MSO about this.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Editing, editing, editing. Why take 12 minutes for a subject that can be covered in two? There are numerous reasons, some of which covered above.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The ones with poor sound quality drive me batty. I hate it when you can't hear the speaker on the video. There are a number of good videos on pipes and pipe smoking just like there are bad ones. Subscribe to those you like and don't to those you don't like.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Totally agree with the initial post. Even if you're shooting a home-video with your iPhone 3 you can certainly find a clean background without much trouble. Heck, any concrete wall will do.
I acknowledge the human need to communicate what's on someone's mind, and if they're lampooning some political figure, or talking about the latest silly thing their cat just did, I don't much care if they have a life-size Buttercup Toy behind them. If what they're communicating is an opinion, let them be.
My problem is when they're trying to communicate knowledge. That's when planning, setting, lighting... in a word, QUALITY is paramount. All the more since their audience is beginners: people who have no clue and desire and require information that is true, accurate, precise, and easy to grasp. When a video doesn't deliver on that it becomes a frustrating watching experience and an exercise in the bloke with cataracts leading the blind. This is a major problem not just for piping videos: I've seen it done with photography and then you end up with watchers who 'learned' on Youtube and can't tell the difference between Rembrandt and Open Loop, let alone light a portrait to save their own lives.
When I taught the physical geography labs, I had to warn my students about Youtube videos 'teaching' viewers geographical skills, such as isolines tracing. Certainly, there are very good videos out there, but the untrained cannot tell the wheat from the chaff, and it's quite easy they will pick up bad habits instead of good ones just by unknowingly choosing a poor video.

Status
Not open for further replies.