PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
This is a most awaited tv show in Europe, as it is a screening after most renown Polish actor, Andrzej Sapkowski. This fantasy world is based roughly around a mutant, Gerald of Rivia, who's sole purpose is hunting down monsters for coin. While the starting idea is simple enough, the series is filled with a complex web of politics, emotions, love and destiny. Interesting enough during the first six episodes I watched, pipe smoking was portrayed quite often - people used some known shapes, probably smoking tobacco - although the author never mentions in his books if tobacco is a native species of plant for the "Continent".

I recommend it, if not for the pipe smoking, for the sheer entertainment offered by a new fantasy genre.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I started watching it last night, the first 4 episodes I think. Decent but not great up to this point. Good enough that I will finish it.

Spot on ... I had higher expectation, but somehow the actor playing the main character doesn't do it for me. His voice is pretty close to what was used in the computer game, but his acting is missing something. Otherwise I think Yennifer was a pretty good choice, and ciri is played rather well.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't have a lot of faith in popular titles moving from one medium to another. I thought The Witcher game was horrible and can't bring myself to watch the series.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Sounds terrible

"KRISTEN: I don’t know, should we start with the wig? The two most important things Hollywood learned from the Lord of the Rings films are as follows: 1) It is possible to make an entire movie franchise about people walking..."

They have some interesting observations, but something tells me that Kristen doesn't really understand the story arc of Lord of the Rings.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
"KRISTEN: I don’t know, should we start with the wig? The two most important things Hollywood learned from the Lord of the Rings films are as follows: 1) It is possible to make an entire movie franchise about people walking..."

They have some interesting observations, but something tells me that Kristen doesn't really understand the story arc of Lord of the Rings.
Indeed, as there was walking AND running.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Spot on ... I had higher expectation, but somehow the actor playing the main character doesn't do it for me. His voice is pretty close to what was used in the computer game, but his acting is missing something. Otherwise I think Yennifer was a pretty good choice, and ciri is played rather well.

Spot on! I think The Witcher is supposed to be the Star but Yennifer was more entertaining and the better actor. I finished it last night. I think they were trying to ride on the coat tails of Game of Thrones. I don't regret watching it, seeing Yennifer's breasts multiple times was worthwhile. Lol

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
We watched the first episode and were underwhelmed, I figured we would leave it there. Then the next evening my wife asked if I wanted to try another episode, I think it is slowly growing on me. I certainly will not binge watch, but will no doubt finish it over time. I have not seen any pipes yet but must admit to dozing off multiple times during both episodes (that could be said about any of my screening reviews).

Isaac

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I agree. It was okay, I think I got three episodes in. The story line was hard to follow and each episode doesn’t have much to do with the previous. This could have been epic, but it feels like there is too much backstory to really get it for the casual viewer.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and madox07
Mar 1, 2014
I just finished watching it yesterday.
Definitely keep the remote handy to skip some awkward scenes in the first five episodes.

Henry Cavill as Geralt is probably a perfect casting, you just have to remember he's portraying a very specific kind of character. I haven't actually played the games or read the books, but it has such a fanatic fanbase I couldn't skip on just watching a few hours of movies.

Overall the show is definitely a mixed bag.
On one hand the some of the characters are great and the political drama can be pretty intense and very well done. Some of the special effects are pulled off brilliantly.
On the other hand sometimes the special effects let the show down, and you can tell the writing isn't as strong for all characters.
Geralt and Yennifer almost equally share screen time and I think they're both very well done.

Some of the swordplay is the best I've ever seen, I think the fight choreography for Geralt was the highlight of the whole show, I just wish there were more of it.
Ironically you only "see" three creature fights across the season, which is a bit disappointing given the premise of the show, hopefully they can double down on their special effects budget next time and actually give us all of them on screen.

The way they string together events from two timelines is very confusing at first but by the end actually pays off pretty well I think.
I hate to say it but the last episode feels like the worst, not a great climax, but by that time Geralt and Yennifer have definitely grown on you and I can't wait for season two, so the cliffhanger ending isn't a serious disappointment.

Season two just needs to deliver more of the same, plus 2x more monsters.

Reactions: madox07 and Bowie

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
BInge watched the whole thing. Ugh. Found myself fast forwarding through most scenes of slow "nothing going on" dialogue and walking around.

And the Bard? I wanted to strangle him. What a useless comedic relief Kevin Sorbo Hercules character. Sigh.

Reactions: madox07

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hmm...now all of a sudden I may be interested in The Witcher.

Indeed and some fine knockers they are !!! They did mess with Triss Merygold though ... gone is the pretty read head that posed for the Polish Playboy magazine cover.

I agree. It was okay, I think I got three episodes in. The story line was hard to follow and each episode doesn’t have much to do with the previous. This could have been epic, but it feels like there is too much backstory to really get it for the casual viewer.

I do find this to be true ... unless you read the books, or at least have played the game the story line makes little sense. When you start reading the novels at first it is hard to discern which action is taking place in the now and which in the past. Furthermore I find that the show incorporates some of the short stories as well, the one with the striga I recall being featured in the first short story collection, and not in the novel.
I just finished watching it yesterday.
Definitely keep the remote handy to skip some awkward scenes in the first five episodes.

Henry Cavill as Geralt is probably a perfect casting, you just have to remember he's portraying a very specific kind of character. I haven't actually played the games or read the books, but it has such a fanatic fanbase I couldn't skip on just watching a few hours of movies.

Overall the show is definitely a mixed bag.
On one hand the some of the characters are great and the political drama can be pretty intense and very well done. Some of the special effects are pulled off brilliantly.
On the other hand sometimes the special effects let the show down, and you can tell the writing isn't as strong for all characters.
Geralt and Yennifer almost equally share screen time and I think they're both very well done.

Some of the swordplay is the best I've ever seen, I think the fight choreography for Geralt was the highlight of the whole show, I just wish there were more of it.
Ironically you only "see" three creature fights across the season, which is a bit disappointing given the premise of the show, hopefully they can double down on their special effects budget next time and actually give us all of them on screen.

The way they string together events from two timelines is very confusing at first but by the end actually pays off pretty well I think.
I hate to say it but the last episode feels like the worst, not a great climax, but by that time Geralt and Yennifer have definitely grown on you and I can't wait for season two, so the cliffhanger ending isn't a serious disappointment.

Season two just needs to deliver more of the same, plus 2x more monsters.

The swordplay was something, but I wouldn't discredit the special effects on magic either. The last episode was quite something - and I will refrain to this, as I wouldn't want to give away spoilers. The last episode kind of binds the whole confusing story into a focal point. I did finish it yesterday, on a second attempt as I fell asleep during the first, and I must admit it's not that bad after all. Not sure about that 9/10 IMDB score though ...
BInge watched the whole thing. Ugh. Found myself fast forwarding through most scenes of slow "nothing going on" dialogue and walking around.

And the Bard? I wanted to strangle him. What a useless comedic relief Kevin Sorbo Hercules character. Sigh.

The bard is the most annoying of all characters, regardless of medium, be that book, game or movie ... I guess he has his part, a successful one I would add since he managed to annoy everyone.

Reactions: kwg116
Status
Not open for further replies.