Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Even though I've been to the L.A. Poche Perique Factory in Louisiana in the past, it's been several years, and I haven't seen all of the newer facilities. I really wish I was able to go on the special tour arranged by The New Orleans Pipe Show that kicked-off their inaugural event the first weekend in October.
If you're like me, and you wish you could have gone too, then at least you can make a virtual visit via our latest article.
The Perique Pilgrimage

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
This site has made it possible for me to virtually attend the show. The various articles, the pictures and postings of forum members, the webcam, etc. Having to miss the show became one of the greatest disappointments of my three years of disability.

Thanks to all.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Thanks, Kevin! I always love reading about the various tobacco manufacturing processes. Great article.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Informative article and makes it look fun also. Need to start fermenting Perique in my garage.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Great article. This really captures the tour. The only thing missing is the smell. If you could bottle that smell, you could sell it.... :puffy:

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Amazing article, great photos.
What surprised me most was the size of the place. I could easily hoard the entire world's supply of perique in a one-car garage. It showed me how small the pipe hobby is as an industry.
@cosmic, I had a problem recently with Pipes and Cigars, they apologized and said that thousands of orders fulfilled everyday, so few problems may occur. They may have exaggerated but I think at least they have hundreds of orders daily. It is not as big as cigarette or cigar industry, but I guess it is not that small either.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I was just saying that I was surprised at the size of the entire perique industry. The whole place shocked me a little. It was about as big as an elementary school gym.
Oh, I see, I just wonder the future of Perique, like after 5 or 10 years.

Jvnshr, Mark Ryan had said that they even have years without a harvest, so it seems to survive. But, given that the vast majority of pipe smokers are inti aromatics, making non-aro guys a minority. And, then even fewer a percentage of non-aro guys prefer perique, it's easy to see how a single barrel might keep a whole company afloat for quite a while, this an entire industry could easily be stacked in my garage. Besides, I like the idea of all that perique in my garage. I would be a happy man with a garage full of perique, ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.