The Unobtanium Files / First Impression: Blakeney's Best (McClelland) Tawny Flake

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I rarely pop a tin these days. I've spent 3 years cellaring madly and buying lots of lots on the forum. I'm still inundated with baggies full of untried blends and any tins or sealed units most often go straight to the cellar.

In the past few months, I've benefited from the generosity of several of you here. I know my benefactors are wondering, "When's he gonna smoke that shit?"

Well, today I've decided to pop a tin. I've chosen one of my Secret Santa tins, from @sablebrush52 . Thanks again for giving me this opportunity.

My previous experience with McClelland tobacco has been hit-or-miss. Very early in the game, my B&M guy sold me a tin of Red & Black. I roasted my mouth and I hated it. I wrote off Virginias for the better part of a year because of it. The few Frog blends I've tried, however, I've greatly enjoyed, as well as one blend called Dark English.

Since then, I've learned that a moderate sensitivity to red Virginias, combined with my lack of technique had become my recipe for discomfort. I've improved my skills a bit and re-ventured into the land of Virginia flakes. I still approach VA flakes with caution and respect but have learned to love them, also.

The first thing I notice, the can does not say McClelland anywhere, but Blakeney's Best appears to be the "brand". According to tobaccoreview's notes, "McClelland introduced their Blakeney's Best line at the 21st CORPS (Conclave of Richmond Pipe Smokers) Pipe Show in Richmond, Virginia. The 50g tin was released to the public in late 2005."

Now I know what CORPS means! puffy

1581281246561.png

Not sure if I'm reading the date stamp correctly, but my tin appears to be from the 71st day of March, 2006...

1581281363970.png

I popped the tin and was definitely hit with a slightly subdued but very distinctive McClelland's ketchup aroma. Rekindling the traumatic Red & Black memories, I nevertheless decided to put on my big boy pants and soldier on with this review. (Are you surprised to find that, up till now, I had no pants...) ?

1581284390029.png

Inside was a beautiful broken flake, just a wee bit more moist than I prefer. Again, mindful of my past, I decided that now was not the time for cutting corners on dry time. We are coming up on a half hour and I believe it's ready!

1581281813715.png

The pipe of the hour is a Peterson Tankard snagged last year from mkelaw's site. It's been a great travel pipe and small chambered "tester" pipe. Coffee with a touch of cow juice on the side.

1581281784489.png

The tin description is as such:

"Little, elegant flue-cured Virginia flakes, redolent with sun-dappled sweetness, and pleasantly tangy. This skillfully blended tobacco, mellowed with Blakeney's exclusive toasting process, fills the pipe with pleasure."

After loading the pipe, I can sense the sweet and tangy just from a dry hit of the pipe. Still a wee apprehensive, I reach for the lighter...

I'm getting the usual Virginia suspects, some grassy light and mid-flavor fruits but there's something extra there. If you've ever had Bush's Baked Beans with their perfect touch of brown sugar, it's an earthy sweetness that COULD cloy but, in this case doesn't.

Per P&C's write up, "Straight Virginia flakes can often have an acidic sharpness that many people don't enjoy. Tawny Flake takes full advantage of the Blakeney's toasting method that removes the edge from the flue-cured leaf and imbues it with a mellower character and a rounder type of sweetness than in the typical Virginia flake."

I suspect the toasting method IS responsible and would not mind learning more about it.

Being afraid of unleashing the red VA monster, I'm now on my 4th gentle tamp and light. I think one more time will do it.

I can sense a wee bit of the sting of the reds now. Not yet a deal breaker, just part of the price of admission for some of us.

My attention to cadence, drying and other factors over the past 2 years is paying off. About a third of the way into this bowl and I'm not even crying yet.

Behind the red sting is a mild, sweet and consistent Virginia experience. Like many VA flakes, heat it up too much and it drifts from delicate and sublime to painful and steamy. It's up to you which experience you want to have.

? ? (Do you want the red pill or the blue pill?)

At the halfway mark, heat and moisture have been well behaved. There's no multi-dimensional taste experience to be extracted here.

It takes me some work and focus to stay in that "sweet spot". I'm really enjoying a deepening sweetness, not sweeter, but "deeper" as some cherry like flavors present around the 2/3 mark. Not quite into the "stewed fruit" zone. The citrus flavors most likely blocking the descent.

From here on out, the load has hit its stride. I'm able to relax and enjoy the fruits of my labor. A number of touch up lights, combined with restrained micro-puffs suffice to get me to the finish line.

I will go for a longer dry time in the next taste. Today is a higher humidity day here, so going for crispy was not so much an option.

I found it a good smoke but I feel there's more to be had from it. In addition to extreme drying, I'll likely pair it up with my conical Dublin champion flake burner. I hope to report back with additional discoveries.

I know my limitations. This tin requires me to push my boundaries a bit. For those of you unaffected by some Virginias, this is a no brainer. Get some.

For those like me, having a tin for the occasional diversion might be fun but don't count on an all day smoke.

Almost a medium nic hit and a lingering sweet aftertaste will remain with the dottle.

1581285506473.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think it's 17/03/06. Give it an hour dry time.
I wish I had known you had a chemistry issue with Red Virgiinias. I would have sent you something friendlier. That tin of 40th is sublime, but it's pretty much a straight red and may cauterize your mouth. I can swap it out for something else if that's an issue. I think I still have some Frog Morton if that would work better for you.

Nice review, BTW.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That's a very generous offer, Jesse. (on top of a very generous gift)

However, I shall not look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say.

That 40th has too many 4 star reviews. It is my destiny to conquer this blend, along with a number of others in the cellar.

Maybe I'll pop it and share it with you in ten years, when I make it to Burbank for a Scooby Doo marathon... nana

1581291897201.jpeg

Reactions: sablebrush52

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I am happy to report a much improved second experience with this Tawny Flake.

After the initial smoke yesterday, I fully rubbed out enough to fill the Viking Classic Dublin and left it on a plate all evening. Before bed, I loaded it into the pipe, which sat on the desk about 20 hours until I finished dinner tonight.

The red VA sting of yesterday diminished further to a barely perceptible "tingle". The mid and high Virginia flavors opened up into a fuller spectrum of the citrus, lemons and oranges and, though less mids than yesterday, still ending on the bottom with some of the cherry notes.

Initial lights were greatly reduced and mid-bowl required almost no care at all. It was actually a peaceful and pleasant smoke.

I think I will disregard Anthony and Don's take on the tin stamping and declare that March 71st, 2006 was a great day for tobacco... ?

1581398539466.jpeg

Reactions: Casual

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
In further "research", last night, I set out a bit to dry. I was going to reload the Viking but, at the last minute, decided on the Stanwell 86, a much shallower pipe (the one in my avatar pic).

The rubbed out flake dried for about 2 hours. I loaded it up and was careful to keep cadence low.

I still got more red sting than I cared for and it was barely an "OK" smoke.

Since I had put out enough to fill the Viking, it was actually enough to fill the Stanwell twice. The remainder sat overnight and I just finished it today in the same pipe.

Night and day experiences. The more crispy smoke today again lacked the red sting, only a mild background tingle. The spectrum of citrus flavors had returned. I even smoked it on the front porch with a near continual breeze with no heat issues.

So, I am concluding that I can enjoy the reds, provided I always stick to the "extreme" drying method.

This is a welcome discovery for me. I hope this helps others suffering from "The Red Scare".

1581798812039.jpeg

Reactions: Casual

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Rivaling Jim with the review, love the story telling! Keep writing some more for us :)

Status
Not open for further replies.