The (Un)Official PipesMagazine Secret Santa Thread 2022!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Ever mind-I just saw your post confirming.
Black Maria is a very nice light English. Our forum brother @telescopes turned me on to it.
Actually I am awaiting @JOHN72 ‘s evaluation of the blend this weekend. As well as my old standby, Telescopes. Hope things are good for you in Kansas City.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Hey Telescopes, can you give me an idea of what your custom blend is? Just a general idea, I might ask for an ounce the next time I’m there!
I am happy to do so. It is a blend primarily of "Packet" and "Lucky Star. The challenges for Larry is getting the ratio right if he is only doing a ounce.

He might have it under Telescopes; however, you can always tell him you are looking for the blend that Douglas of Palm Desert has with him.

His father-in-law, John Dengler, and I worked on it for many years before settling in on this blend. At one time it was a mixture of a whole lot of tobaccos and seasonings, but we settled on this.

I know the constituent components under their true names, but out of respect for John and Larry I don't mention what they are.

I've smoked it for four decades. Yes, it is an aromatic. But, it is a pleasant one with a wonderful room note. The nougat is just strong enough to give it some depth, complexity, and body.

Black Maria would be my next go to blend of theirs. A mild English blend, it is unusual because it also has a VERY PLEASANT room note.

My Dad has an aromatic blend that he has smoked even longer - I refer to it as Lazy Bones. It is a blend of Cameron's Blend and Cherry Flambe.

It is an extremely mild blend with just a hint of Cherry. It is also an excellent blend if you are looking to build up a little cake in your bowl or want to break in your pipe.

I've tried Haden and it too is a good entry English Blend as well. Probably more English than Black Maria, but I am not keeping score.

I am certain that somewhere along the way, Larry didn't get the exact recipes right for Bagdad, or perhaps he just sent me a blend that was mixed wrong. I didn't enjoy that one at all.

John Dengler Tobacconist. It is coming to an end. An era will have come to a close when Larry closes up shop.

Let me know if you try any of those blends.

Douglas

c5d403_45597db9907b471e9adac28858d72ce3.jpeg
image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.