PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Okay, for those less inclined to read a lengthy review of a new blend, here is my review after smoking four bowls of it.

Full disclosure: I primarily smoke straight blends, e.g., Caroline Red Flake, Crumble Kake Red, Burley Flake #2, etc., but I like to change things up sometimes. To do this I would buy some Carter Hall, but that seems to be having some production issues lately; I recently bought some Chatham Manor which some call a 'match blend' to CH (I don't think it is however, although it is close). CM is good, but still pretty heavily topped, so I thought I'd give this one a shot and I am pleasantly surprised. I don't care about tin notes, so I won't comment on that; I also won't comment on it's "grassy" qualities because I grow grass for a living and I have never smoked a tobacco that tastes like grass.

That said, here's my review:

It's pretty damned good. Not overly topped although the vanilla is certainly there but more of a lighter, spicy vanilla rather than the usual, heavier vanilla flavors that most blends use. I can certainly taste the tobacco as well which is a good thing in my book. It's not overpriced and the quality of the product definitely stands out. Would be a great try for other non-aromatic smokers (like me) looking to change things up sometimes...I would highly recommend.

End of review.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Good review stokesdale! I'm an aromatic smoker...in that I enjoy flavors paired into the tobacco experience....and this one wasn't for me. Not that the tobacco flavor was 'too strong', but in that the vanilla note just didn't seem to mix well with the tobacco profile to my taste buds. Vanilla Cream Flake is a pretty decent complimentary pairing...but going to this one just seemed like a bit of marshmallow on a steak for me. I like those things...but not together. I thought a liquor-based topping (rum, whisky, berry liquor, etc) may be the better playmate for the tobacco. But......a lot of folks seem to like it in these reviews so cool beans by me!

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Good review stokesdale! I'm an aromatic smoker...in that I enjoy flavors paired into the tobacco experience....and this one wasn't for me. Not that the tobacco flavor was 'too strong', but in that the vanilla note just didn't seem to mix well with the tobacco profile to my taste buds. Vanilla Cream Flake is a pretty decent complimentary pairing...but going to this one just seemed like a bit of marshmallow on a steak for me. I like those things...but not together. I thought a liquor-based topping (rum, whisky, berry liquor, etc) may be the better playmate for the tobacco. But......a lot of folks seem to like it in these reviews so cool beans by me!
I completely understand where you are coming from. I think aromatic smokers are more attuned to the nuances of aromatic tobaccos, just like non-aromatic smokers are more skilled at judging plain blends. That's mostly why I wrote that disclaimer that I am certainly not one to judge something like this in any professional way, but watching these threads over time, I think my tastes coincide with most of the plain blend Virginia and/or burley lovers. I know with myself that the simpler the aromatic, the more appealing it is to me and this particular blend, in my opinion, was pretty simple...light spicy vanilla on virginia and burley...pretty straightforward I thought and probably pretty good for other non-aromatics smokers.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I completely understand where you are coming from. I think aromatic smokers are more attuned to the nuances of aromatic tobaccos, just like non-aromatic smokers are more skilled at judging plain blends. That's mostly why I wrote that disclaimer that I am certainly not one to judge something like this in any professional way, but watching these threads over time, I think my tastes coincide with most of the plain blend Virginia and/or burley lovers. I know with myself that the simpler the aromatic, the more appealing it is to me and this particular blend, in my opinion, was pretty simple...light spicy vanilla on virginia and burley...pretty straightforward I thought and probably pretty good for other non-aromatics smokers.

I'm an aro and latakia smoker so like the worst ;) Overall, I think most opinions I see on the nets are tracking pretty close to your take...so you're likely closer to the mainstream here than I. For my funky palate the flavors just don't play as well as I'd want....but MacB has some very nice tobaccos in this line and I'm glad that people are digging this new one.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I am mostly a straight blend smoker, I suppose that is why I like this blend so much.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
Just got me a bag of this today. I'm a big fan of MB Vanilla Flake, as well as Newminster's 403 coins so I figured this was right in my sweet spot.

I'm smoking my first bowl now, and to me this is essentially identical to Vanilla Flake. The vanilla flavor is the mostly the same with maybe some minor nuances. Overall it's a winner for me.

If you like MB Vanilla Flake, this is pretty much the same thing.

Reactions: stokesdale

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Just got me a bag of this today. I'm a big fan of MB Vanilla Flake, as well as Newminster's 403 coins so I figured this was right in my sweet spot.

I'm smoking my first bowl now, and to me this is essentially identical to Vanilla Flake. The vanilla flavor is the mostly the same with maybe some minor nuances. Overall it's a winner for me.

If you like MB Vanilla Flake, this is pretty much the same thing.
Did the Kentucky show up when you tried it? It seems everyone that has tried it describes tasting the Kentucky which makes it quite different to Vanilla Flake.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Did the Kentucky show up when you tried it? It seems everyone that has tried it describes tasting the Kentucky which makes it quite different to Vanilla Flake.
I taste zero of what I would consider Kentucky (seems like many people have their own opinion of what constitutes Kentucky), in fact, I don't think Kentucky is even in this. The Virginia is there somewhat, but mostly I taste straight burley...a fairly strong straight burley flavor.

Reactions: BROBS

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Haha, these reviews are not helping me figure out if I will like it. Plenty of reasons to land on either side. Going to have to snag a tin on the next Mac Baren tin sale.
giphy.gif

Reactions: BROBS and Casual

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This blend is fucking amazing. Less sweet and cloying than vanilla flake and without the fruity modern cavendish.

Reactions: wayoutwest
Status
Not open for further replies.