PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

Over the years I’ve made a few pipe tampers – some quite simple, and others a little more ornate. Depending on what I want they can take anything from 1 -3 hours to carve. All of them are functional and perfectly suited for their intended purpose.
When people see them I am usually asked how they hold up to regular use, and more often how I justify the price I charge for them. I can’t really answer the second question (actually, I could, but suffice to say, if you ask, then maybe these are not for you), but I can answer the first one.
The tamper I use myself is one that I decided not to sell due to a minor flaw, and also the carving went a little awry. I carved it about 8 years ago out of White Thorn and have used it constantly ever since. I have a few tampers I’ve made for myself over the years, but I always pick up the same one – the others are as fresh as the day they were first carved, having only been used 2-3 times each.
I have come to realise the true significance of what a friend once said to me:
"A Tamper is much more than a tool for the Pipe Smoker - it is a life-long Friend."
Every time I reach for it, I touch familiarity and comfort – I create new memories and relive old ones. I have tried to supplant it with another, but I cannot – we have been on too many adventures together, seen, heard and experienced too many things to be parted easily, now. This tamper fits my fingers, my hand perfectly – I know instinctively how to hold it to get what I want from my favourite tobacco, to coax that glowing ember into life and release that soothing, fragrant, full-bodied smoke. Together we travel the world and time – go on adventures, live them, then relive them, again and again.
Indeed, this tamper has been with me on all my journeys since I created it, and, as such, is a lightening-rod for my thoughts and experiences. Seem like overstating things a bit? Maybe, maybe not.
This tamper has been to many places. It has strolled around Le Puses in Paris before taking in the wonders of the city, standing before The Raft of the Medussa, and being awe struck, again, by the Rose Window in Notre Dame, or watching the crowds around the Sacre-Coeur – it has wandered tiny alleyways and back streets in search of everyday life, avoiding throngs of tourists, before coffee in a café.
It has prowled the streets of Amsterdam, suffered snow storms in Berlin, been beaten by blazing sun in Barcelona and lingered in New York’s China Town. It has visited Dubai, India, Australia, Egypt, Tunisia and New Zealand and, best of all, experienced many bumpy journeys in the Landrover. Every time I touch it I am transported back to the places we have been.
But, it is the people we have met together that stand out most. In Paris a wonderful Moroccan Restaurant owner who promised me the best vegetarian meal of my life, before producing great lumps of carrot, swede, turnip, leek, onion and potato in a broth. He was not wrong – it was excellent. There was the stall holder in Le Puses who sold me a beautiful antique pipe for a song.
In the Canaries there was Manfred, the grey haired, long bearded German gent who had sold all his possessions, owning only the shirt on his back and wandering the world. His smile was infectious, his speech soft and gentle and his faith in humanity wondrous. We chatted for a while before he had to board a boat for Japan, working his passage and not knowing what he was going to do when he got there, other than continue his journey. Open hearted and unafraid, stepping into the world with joy and hope – I think of him often, and wish I had his faith and strength.
In Poland, standing in the Children’s Hut in Birkenau, I reached out a hand and ran my fingers over the little wooden steps worn away by hundreds, thousands of little hands and feet clambering into their bunks at the end of another day. I wish I hadn’t. There were no people to remember here, but I was surrounded by gaunt ghosts, and hollow eyes looking out from in-mate photographs, unaware of what was to come. As I walked away, my hand reached into my pocket and I touched the comfort of the little piece of wood I carry with me – for once it did little, except, perhaps, absorb some of what I felt.
In New Zealand I met Mr George, the driver of the bus. A man of jolly demeanour, with a smile that would shame a blue whale, and a heart so full of joy, love and kindness that it left me wondering how it could fit into a mere mortal. As the day wore on I realised he carried a melancholy that arose from a deep love and an all-pervasive compassion – but, still, we laughed the day away, and when it came time to part, it was with sadness, but also great happiness for having met and spent time together. I believe the world is full of saints, miracle workers, Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, enlightened and compassionate beings, who work tirelessly for the welfare of all life’s creatures, unnoticed and un-thanked – and, when I met Mr George, I came face-to-face with one of those beings. He moved me deeply, and I think of him often – there is not a day passes without feeling some small measure of gratitude to him. Whenever I pick up my tamper I smile – Thanks, Mr George.
I’m sure I will go on many more trips, and I will take my tamper with me, so that on my return and with each visit to the greenhouse with a pipe, I will remember the good times and the things I have seen, heard and felt.
Has the tamper held up well? Yes! Yes, it has – it has grown and developed, as all living wood does. It is alive and changing, like myself. It has a beautiful patina and smoothness that only comes from use, engaging in life, and helping others (in this case, me!). Will it last for a long time? Absolutely – I expect this tamper to see me out, there is no reason, other than carelessness and inattention, why it shouldn’t. By them it will probably be so worn from use as to be unrecognisable – but, the same can be said for all of us, eh?
On a final note, some bright spark once suggested to me, that to improve the tampers I carve, I should flame them so they have a well-worn, scorched look. All I could do in reply was my best Roger Moore impersonation, raising one eyebrow and attempting to smile – sort of.
Anyway, here is the tamper – you can judge for yourself how it’s holding up.
image-17-e1488291970984.jpeg

image-16-e1488292008870.jpeg

image-15-e1488292051544.jpeg

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Very nice tamper. I've got a Czech pipe tool that I purchased back in the seventies, first one I ever bought. I misplaced it a couple of months ago and it really bothered me, it was a great relief when I found it in a coat pocket. I could have bought a replacement but somehow it wouldn't be the same. :crazy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good for you to keep track of it through all those travels. It's become a travel companion and all-purpose amulet. I do have a weakness for pipe nails since, at a dollar or less apiece, they are almost impossible to lose. And they are fiercely functional. But not nearly as personable as your tamper.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I just love your carved tampers Klause.

That one has some great character and looks to be holding up just fine. :puffy:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
O.k.towards the end of that post I was starting to claim b.s. And I purposely finished reading before I saw the picture. Then I saw the picture, and...well...I'm truly speechless. Dude that thing is awesome! What did you use to carve it? Is it coated with something? Best tamper ever.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great story. Great tamper. I'd say you're both aging well.
But this chilled me to the bone:
"In Poland, standing in the Children’s Hut in Birkenau, I reached out a hand and ran my fingers over the little wooden steps worn away by hundreds, thousands of little hands and feet clambering into their bunks at the end of another day. I wish I hadn’t."
Fnord

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
It would be a good match for the Thorin Oakenshield Pickaxe pipe from another recent thread.

Nice looking tamper.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I can see how some people can become quite attached to their smoking paraphernalia, but that's not a path I seek to tread. I have a Czech pipe tool that I bought when I first decided to try the pipe, but often my tamp is a countersunk woodscrew, round headed nail, or even a bit of snapped twig if needs be. I have found getting sentimental about inanimate objects can be troublesome at times, so I try to avoid it these days. I would never want that to affect how anyone else views their own posessions though - each to their own.
Very nice carving work by the way.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I was honored to receive one of these works of art a few years ago. Still has a place of honor with my pipes.
Thanks again, klause.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Even without description, that tamper looks like it has a story tied to it (thanks for sharing yours, by the way). Very cool. :puffy:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I was impressed when you showed your tampers here years ago. I collect tampers and would love to add one to my collection! 8O

K

klause

Thanks for all the comments, Gents - much appreciated.
Walt, glad to hear it's holding up well for you - great to hear from you!
Didimauw, I used an Opinel No7 and coated the tamper in beeswax initially - since then its all just oils out of the tobacco, smoke and my hands.
Fnord, you echo my feelings at the time.

K

klause

Jason, Cosmic's tampers are absolutly beautiful pieces of art - one of these days I'm going to have a chat with Michael ;-)
Aquadoc, I use Beech, Ash, Whitethorn and Blackthorn - occassionally some Oak or spalted Ash. Each bring something different to the party, and depending on my mood each will be my prefered choice. But, overall I have to say that the Blackthorn is the wood i like the results from the best, and the one i turn to most - the density and heft of the wood is immensely satisfying, the grain orientation (or lack of, given it can be all over the place)and the colours can occupy my eye for hours. I also find that, even though they all age and develop well, the Blackthorn just gets more and more magnificent.
I collect the wood myself - I'm surrounded by ancient hedgerows and have a wood just across the fields from me. I can point out the tree that each individual tamper springs from - that tickles me.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
So, I am hoping to acquire one of Klause's tampers very soon but in the interim I thought, hey, I am surrounded by a forest of red cedar. Why not try my hand at making a simple Tamper with My Opinel!? Oh hahaha! Yes, I just wanted something simple to whittle away some time, maybe something sinew like it even a simple vine pattern. Looking back on this a few hours ago, with the Opinel blade stuck between my thumb bone and fingernail, asking my wife to pull it out and then arguing with her as I try to sew it up with my field med go bag and her help while she gags... Klause, you have my deepest respect! I am going to finish this SOB one way or another. And 6 fingers of scotch is helping with the pain. That and some righteous smoke courtesy of a friend. Klause, if you need some red cedar, let me know. I think I am better with a saw than with a whittling knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.