PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
So usually I don’t have a blend in mind when I have the opportunity to smoke a bowl. It’s all which pipe will I pick and which tobacco will I choose with all the permutations involved (I don’t want to fold and stuff flakes, much less rub them out or I don’t feel like an OTC burley blend. Hmmm, maybe sumthin’ with a rum topping? Oooh, maybe the grassy sweetness of. Virginia! Decisions, decisions...). Anyhoo, today I just reached out and grabbed the first pipe I could reach, an old comfy Grabow billiard and WITHOUT thinking grabbed a jar of Westminster. It’s interesting how a slight dip in temperature will subconsciously affect my choices.
Does this happen to you? Do you stick relentlessly to your rotations (according to my planner, the third bowl of September 5 will be Bengal slices in my figural Meer)? Do you leave it to spontaneity or a change in the weather? The tides and the cycles of the moon?

Reactions: whsergent

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I grab a bowl of butternut burley first thing in the morning and the last smoke at night. To me it is a given, to me it is that good. YMMV.

Reactions: aquadoc and Elric

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
My standby blend has been Cornell & Diehl's Three Friars for quite some time now. It's easy to deal with, has very consistent flavor from rim to heel, and never bites me.
Otherwise, tobacco selection is somewhat glacial for me. I often only have a tin or two open at a time, and I don't smoke a lot.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have no rotations. But I only smoke 2 blends currently. Briar Fox and Mac Baren Burley Flake. My only go to smokes. 90% of the time is briar Fox. So yes that's the blend I smoke without thinking about.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I reach for 3 without considering others: Sutliff Burley J4, Edgeworth Match, and MacBaren VA #1 when it has at least a year age. Always good, satisfying smokes with no need to look for nuance.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Weather doesn't affect my selection, not do I have a set rotation. My pipe and tobacco selection is often what I'm in the mood for at the given moment though I frequently smoke the same pipe and tobacco for weeks before changing. Mixture 79, Angler's Dream, and McClelland 40th Anniversary are regular favorites though.

Reactions: aquadoc

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
Pegasus might be mine as well outside of a blend I'm focusing on. I usually have something I'm trying to smoke through and be done with.

Reactions: whsergent and ray47

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I never know what I'm going to smoke. Whatever sounds good at the time. As Fall gets near, I'm veering towards my English mixtures.

Reactions: Elric
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have 6 to 8 tins of various Virginia flake open at all times. 2 or 3 are lighter, sweeter blends. The other are darker and stronger. I always smoke one of the lighter, sweeter blends first with coffee. Depending on my mood, I may smoke another light, sweet blend next but it would be a different one from the first. Or, I'd switch to one of the stronger ones. Most days, I would have a third bowl of Virginia flake, a different stronger one. Some days, I may mix in a Virginia ribbon cut such as Simply Red or Rhythm & Bless. When I empty a tin, I pull out a new tin of Virginia flake.
I have various VaPers, VaOr and some other blends stored in small, Amber mason jars easily accessible in my man cave. I choose from those for the remainder of the day.
I like variety.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I used to think about what pipe I was going to smoke. Then open the drawer full of jarred tobacco and think about what blend I was going to smoke. Then I would realize I chose the wrong pipe for the chosen blend and then I had to go back and pick another pipe. Now I have picked an aromatic blend and an english blend and I bounce between those two in dedicated pipes and it makes life much easier. We (pipe smokers) tend to overthink things. Just like my reply to this post... I grab a bulk english blend from a local shop without thinking. It has a bit of cavendish that really completes the blend for me!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I generally alternate from VA, VaPer, VaBur, English, Aro. But sometimes I do just open a drawer and grab the first thing that looks interesting. Usually when that happens it is some kind of VaPer.

• Haha
Reactions: jameshsi

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Good question which got me to thinking how I select tobacco. Amazingly I find I select the pipe first and then think what tobacco I want to load it with. So I guess I do not fit into the reach for without thinking really.

Reactions: crashthegrey

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Esoterica Brighton or any other open VA Flake or light VaPer. Other blends sometimes, but I have to think about it. If it's just reaching for something to smoke that I know will be good without much thinking of fussing over, it's always Brighton.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
OJK and whatever my new blend is on hand. I finish the new blend unless it is really not to my liking but normally I can get 2-3 new blends finished in a month.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
When I don't want to think it through too much or agonize about choices, I usually grab a Sutliff blend like Match Revelation or Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend.

Reactions: aquadoc
Status
Not open for further replies.