The Thrill of the Hunt (A Guide to Estate Meerschaums)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks Kevin! Once again, you have taken the raw product

and created a finished masterpiece.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
To follow through with the Steak metaphore....

That was a rare treat and it was well done.
Thanks Fred, great information, and an excellent read.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Nicely done! My main interest is in the metal mounted antiques from the late 1800's to the early 1900's . You run into HUGE variation in block quality there.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks guys! The Meerschaum trades are in decline, according to what I've been told.

There are no apprentices to the Master Carvers and this generation of

the work force has found other career paths than what the mines can offer.

My hope is that with the resurgence of Pipe smoking in the college crowd these

days, these articles will stimulate interest that might have a positive effect

on this situation. The 1st article has registered over 19,300 hits so far. I

hope that the young Pipes smokers account for a good part of this, and this

would seem likely, as many of them are far more into the internet than my

peer group. This is my primary reason for writing these articles and the reason

Kevin and I are trying to find more of what people would like to know about Meerschaums.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I am a "young" college pipe smoker and I can tell you right off the bat that meerschaums are intimidating to most in my age group. First off, they seem to be more expensive than entry level pipes so college kids are less likely to buy one as a first pipe. Second, I have been told that meerschaums require special care such as you cannot hold the bowl while smoking. Because college life is full of the unexpected I would much rather purchase a briar I can semi-abuse. Third, I hear that extra care is needed when cleaning. I would hate to have a meerschaum I enjoy and my only reason for not smoking it is it be a pain to clean. Lastly, most college aged pipe smokers that I know are strapped on cash so they end up buying a very cheap first pipe and smoking it until it burns out. I am very intimidated by meerschaums and I am afraid that if I bought a nice one I would end up ruining it someway. Also, due to the fact that I am short on cash I would be more inclined to purchase an estate meerschaum instead of a brand new one. However, this leads to a fear of getting ripped off because I am not knowledgeable enough to know the difference, though your writings have helped me in this area.

If there was a way to conquer these fears and purchase a quality meerschaum at a reasonable price [and I mean college reasonable, not older gentleman I just paid off my house what do I do with my extra cash reasonable :)], then I would be willing to try it out. With that being said, I believe you are on the right path to giving me said confidence in buying a meerschaum pipe.
On a side note, have you heard anything about the mini meerschaums that Pipes and Cigars sells? They are only $20 so I am a bit weary of them. They can be seen here at the bottom of the page.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I understand your concerns wallbright, having experience with university life.

Bubbadreier, that is the hot topic of any Meerschaum discussion that I've encountered

for all the years I've been smoking them. Unclearther, that is an area of the

estate/antique market that I know next to nothing about, but Ben Rapaport is keen

on the 1850-1925 period, or the "Golden Age of Meerschaums." I've got a direction

to start with for the next article, but that doesn't mean that I'm not open to more

suggestions/questions.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Wallbright I love my Mini-meers.
Almost life size:

MerechaumSherlockJohn1-1.jpg

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Do you know if the ones I like are of the same quality? Yours seem much nicer.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I bought mine back in the 80's and I think I paid about twenty bucks for the set.

I took a look at the Buffalo on that site, and it looks like it might be the same company. I'm sure Fred can speak to this with a lot more authority...
On the shank there are some small "flower" like markings". I was told when I bought mine that they are there to cover up flaws in the meer block. The design of those marks are exactly the same. Not the highest quality, obviously but, a lot of fun none-the-less.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Exactly, I know they won't be comparable to a top of the line meerschaum. I will ask Fred what he thinks. I just want a good starter meerschaum and they seem to be a good small start up meer for the price.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I've no experience with these Pipes, but have done a lot of good

business with the site. If you get one, let us know what you think

and how the experience turns out for you.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Just found an unsmoked CAO on Ebay that I would grab if I didn't already have a turban type.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220670538203&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Carved by Bekler (think I spelled it right )

Might be one to look at Wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.