the third pipe finished (oh yeah, there's pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
this is the finished product of my third pre-drilled block (a tim west block), and my favorite thus far. finished it earlier this week, and finally took some picks. smoked four bowls through it so far, and it smokes wonderfully. just a little black stain on the rust and i left the smooth sections natural with just a couple coats of carnuba.

egg06.jpg

egg07.jpg

egg05a.jpg

egg04.jpg

egg03.jpg

egg08.jpg

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I like the way your rustication leads the eye up to the plateau.

How do you confine the dye to specific areas Jason? Seems it would be all to easy (if I was doing it!)to have the dye bleed onto the smooth portions.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
thanks ace. i have been referring to it as my cracked egg. it has become a favorite to smoke while sitting in traffic on my way to the shop.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
with this guy i used a small #2 paint brush, and i'll keep the viscosity a bit on the heavier side 9more like a medium acrylic paint). after all dries i have to do some sanding to the edges usually. and most often i will lightly go over the rusticated areas with a high grit to take stain off the raised areas a bit.

all in all i try to just play around and try things out. sometimes they work better than others, but they always function to some degree.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Looks awesome! Almost makes me want to start carving up the pre-drilled block I have. But I'll wait until work slows down a bit and I can take a few days off to dedicate to that task.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.