PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I have one I smoke all the time , great pipe . If you ever want to get rid of your tadpole , I am officially colllecting them now .

Interesting theme, and a bit of a challenge. Purdy was never a prolific carver and the tadpole was a demanding shape. If you set aside the handful of smaller sandblast versions he made I doubt many others exist. I know of a few, but only Will could say how many were made.

Reactions: sandollars

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Interesting theme, and a bit of a challenge. Purdy was never a prolific carver and the tadpole was a demanding shape. If you set aside the handful of smaller sandblast versions he made I doubt many others exist. I know of a few, but only Will could say how many were made.
when I first starting watching this forum in 2015 or so, Purdy pipes were spoken about having magical smoking properties … that’s why I bought one , it was true
I’ll email him , but I bet he made made dozens .. I’ll post if he responds .

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No, even those beauties quickly surpassed my budget. I scored three very rare Ben Wade Leeds era seconds and a few others. I follow the Barling auctions and others out of interest but they rarely remain in my target range for long, especially in the final 24 hours.
Well, you may have dodged a bullet, based on what I could see.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
when I first starting watching this forum in 2015 or so, Purdy pipes were spoken about having magical smoking properties … that’s why I bought one , it was true
I’ll email him , but I bet he made made dozens .. I’ll post if he responds .

Thanks, that’d be great.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
How often do these auctions happen?

These particular auctions are unique events. They were conducted by an auction house in New Jersey which had negotiated the right to auction a large number of pipes from the collection of a deceased pipesmoker. There have been two auctions so far and rumor has it there will be another one or two more, again all related to the dispersal of this one specific collection. Both of the prior auctions were publicized on this website. I also imagine you can sign up for notifications of future events with Taurus.