PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've found some good tamales around town, but I think those home tamale makers stay one step ahead of the health inspectors since usually home kitchens can't pass the inspections. The tamales show up at a bar or bodega, and when you go back, no tamales and no explanation. So enjoy while you can.

To find good tamales is a prize. The one restaurant that has them, they're too bready and the chicken tastes processed. A good tamale is the food of the gods, if you can find them.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I can't seem to find tamales in Metro-Detroit unless its randomly at Alidi.

As a result, I make a Mexican cornbread pie/casserole with shredded chicken, cheese, choice of frozen vegetables, cumin and chili powder, garlic, onions, and cheese with options of sour cream, chilis, jalapenos, corn, and/or beans. Then top with Jif cornbread made as the package indicates (often with cheese or jalapenos in the mix). Bake at 375 for about 25-35 minutes (until the cornbread is done to your liking) and serve.

It's a quick weeknight meal that I should make more often.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I love tamales and the title of this thread had me worried that there was a global masa shortage or something affecting the availability of tamales. I am happy to find out that that's not the case!
It's tamale season! In neighborhoods like mine, tamales are as plentiful as zucchinis during the harvest----there are so many delicious tamales to eat that death by tamale does cross one's mind.
Be careful out there, LOL!

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC