PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
A discussion on an other thread got me thinking about this subject. The subject being Samuel Gawith tobacco before their merger with Gawith Hoggarth and after. The before is obvious, SG only put their Lakeland essence into blends that were designed for them. Since they merged and are now reportably using GH equipment is the Lakeland essence tainting blends that are not supposed to have it?
On another thread( Preparing SG Flakes) hawky454 mentioned tasting the Lakeland essence in one of his boxes of SG Full Virginia Flake he received after the merger and sometimes in his Cabbies Mixture. I would be pissed if that had happened to me. I don't want to taste Lakeland where it does not belong.
So the big questions are when did GH & SG merge and do we need to now look at SG blends as before GH and after GH. Are blends from before going to be worth more in the open market because there is no chance of their being a Lakeland taint associated with them?

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I have bought all my SG tobacco post merger, and have never tasted Lakeland essence in my Best Brown or FVF.
I would notice a Lakeland essence, because the flavor is god awful to me (taint is the right word). I tried some Ennerdale one time, ghosted the pipe for at least 20 bowls. Maybe hawky is tasting a ghost.
I would guess, that they would be smart enough and experienced enough to know that Lakeland essences will TAINT the flavor or less adulterated tobacco.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I don't regard Lakeland as an essence or in any way characterizable as there 100 or 100s of essences, and vestiges being faint at the start and variously constructed cannot be of any one type so as to be characterized by one word, Lakeland. Which? Which Lakeland? But if I did taste something so variable on a blend where I felt it didn't belong, I wouldn't get all that excited such that I would find pre-merger SG tobacco more valuable than post. I would try to find it sophisticated and thus more valuable, though I admit that before I reordered I would extract a promise that the tobacco could be returned were such essence upon it.
Lakeland scenting would appear to be what some love to hate and about which they also love to post.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would imagine that like the food industry, they would clean and sanitize the equipment between batches. I love lakelands BTW.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@ Plug ... I don't think you get it, on how guys who don't like any Lakeland essence feel. Your last sentence is uncalled for.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
McT, you're right. But maybe in the context of having read the same opinions over and over and over again on forums for many years why I say this might make sense. Bashing Lakelands makes as much sense as bashing P&C and Petersons and does no good. To me its whining. I do admit to whining, but I try to not to post about it. I think its time to give this one a rest but I know there are many who feel otherwise.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
salt, talking about tobacco and their flavors is what we do here. The Lakeland essence is a flavor that most either love or hate, not a lot of middle ground with that. I happen to smoke St Bruno Flake which does have a small amount of Lakeland essence and in that blend I expect it to be there. If I were to buy a tin of SG Best Brown flake today and found it had a bit of Lakeland, I would be upset as it is not supposed to be in that blend.
I think a discussion of possible Lakeland essence showing up in blends that is not supposed to have it, is not whining but is simply a discussion, nothing more nothing less.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My point was not that the topic should not be discussed, but that it has been discussed so long that it bears no more discussion, and that thus it amounts to bashing. This forum has had threads bashing P&C, sometimes multiple threads at the same time, for years, as have the others forums I've visited. I maintain that Lakelands, P&C and Peterson bashing are among the most enduring topics on the forums. Criticism is helpful when directed against a particular practice. As I understand it, P&C had problems with packing recently. So, worthy of criticism. But this is not what is posted about the triumvirate from hell, above.
If you want to state how you feel, I would vote for a "I Hate Lakelands" thread. When you feel the urge you could post to it, only writing, "I hate Lakelands." Similarly we could have threads for Peterson and P&C hatred. Since everything has been said, and said and said, why keep saying it?
These topics are the subject of eternal hatred, which I feel brings down the tone of the board. But wait. . .no one cares what I think! Why am I here? Why am I posting to a thread of such unimportance for the third time, whining about others' whining? (Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
salt, show me a thread where the topic is Lakeland essence possibly tainting blends that are not supposed to have it.
Also who are you to tell anyone what topic they should or should not post about? Because you are tired about the Lakeland topic we should never discuss it again? What about new smokers? Are they supposed to just know all about that topic because in your opinion it has been discussed enough?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
mea culpa. If I feel the need to wade into such an eternal thread again, that I feel is to to no purpose, I will substantiate my argument, having found supporting evidence.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I ordered a new Peterson from P&C one time, along with a couple of Lakeland blends (just because I wanted to see what all the stink was about). Well, needless to say, the box was torn and the contents were rolling around loose inside with almost no packing protection.
The Lakelands had busted open and caused the mailman to lose consciousness and knock my mailbox over.
The Pete was already ghosted from just being in the same box with that God-awful stuff even before the first smoke...but didn’t matter because the thing was drilled so badly that you couldn’t smoke it anyway.
I got as far as touching one match to that mixture from hell and immediately sealed up the rest of it and shipped it off to Captain Embers to do whatever it is he does with it.
EDIT: disclaimer: the above is pure fiction...strictly for entertainment purposes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
immediately sealed up the rest of it and shipped it off to Captain Embers to do whatever it is he does with it.
EDIT: disclaimer: the above is pure fiction...strictly for entertainment purposes.
Damnit Brian, I got excited for a second. :rofl:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
So does anyone know if SG flakes or other blends are being cut or worked on GH machines? Also when exactly did the merger occur? Can we nail down a date so we can create a before GH era for SG products?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I bought a tin of Cabbies blend (02/10/17), after the merger, and there was definitely a floral scent to it. Although I avoid Lakelands like the plague, I must admit that the tainted Cabbies was still pretty good. It is even more lightly scented than Peterson's Hyde Park.
ps. Salted, take a time out. :lol:

This was discussed quite a bit, but I think you were on break with the forum at the time. Just going by my poor memory, I think it was resolved that there might be contamination from storage, but that is based on my memory, so... FWIW
I don't remember the exact year it was moved. But, when someone says Lakeland, they can be referring to one or more of hundreds of scents. Some I love, and some, not so much, especially that rose geranium oil that was also used in those pink soaps. But, a little licorice, a little tonquin bean, doesn't bother me so much. But, for someone who is repulsed by "any" scents... I'm not sure that one can be 100% absolutely certain that there won't be any contamination.
I'm not sure how devastating the contamination is. There is a forum phenomena that a small percentage can look like it's much more than it is here. One guy posts, and then it starts to look further compounded by just discussion, and then maybe one or two verify the problem, and then it looks like much more a big deal than it really is. I feel totally confident that if I picked up a tin of FVF at my local B&M, that it is going to be unadulterated FVF. I have personally bought 12 boxes of FVF in last last year, and jarred them. I didn't notice any scents in the blocks of flakes. FWIW. Not to disrespect those who have had issues. I just cannot verify with what I have experienced. Maybe I am lucky, or maybe they just got very unlucky.
I feel confident that if I did have an issue, and if I used one of the forum sponsors, I feel confident that they would help resolve my issue. And, I am saying that as a "no longer a moderator or associated with PipesMagazine," regular guy posting on the forum just like you. YMMV

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I used to put my daughter in timeout and now I done got put in a timeout on a pipe forum. The injustice of it all. . .

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, you need to smoke a bowl out of each of those 12 boxes and report back. The smell alone is not enough, we need to know the taste. When you have finished your assignment, please report back here. :lol:
Alan, late 2015 is way too general. We need a month, a day and the time please. Now get back out there and bring me home the info. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.