PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I think of Squadron Leader as the quintessential English blend.
it likely has as much to do with the name, the tin art and provenance as the blend itself. But when folks say -- as they do -- "I am ready to move from aromatics to English blend. Where do I start?" that is where I point them.
It is everything a full English should be, but not too challenging as first blend.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
965 is a "sweet" English. I realize some folks think it is hot patooties - the "quintessential" English - but others of us think it's crap.

I gave up trying to worry about such things years ago. :puffy:

Mar 29, 2016
"English" as a Latakia mixture that has more Virginia taste profile that Oriental. It might be made in England, preferably, or not. Now an "English" made in England could have any tobacco and be considered a real English also. I think that the author of this post meant the first definition.
As for an "English" that's not made in England, G.L.Pease Chelsea Morning and Quiet Nights are hard to beat.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
So, an English is only Virginia and Latakia? Does adding a background of Orientals change the designation? I thought a Balkan was Oriental forward with support from Virginia's and Latakia?! What about adding a touch of burley?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
English is a style, not where it's made. Made in England is different from an "English" tobacco, the best of which come from the USA and the Jersey Isles.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Dunhill blends that come under English/Scottish/Balkan generalized categories are pleasing to many, including me. But they are hardly the be-all-and-end-all, and if you feel that way, you are probably not sampling around enough. We may hit a regulatory wall where it will be difficult to find blends we truly like, but Dunhill's apparent cessation of production is hardly any wall at all. A variety of pleasing, notably consistent, well produced and distributed blends that is Dunhill is present in many other brands as well, so get busy!

Status
Not open for further replies.