PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I've recently opened a tin of Dunhill MM965 and have heard this is bar standard for an English blend. Medium body and flavor (for me at least) and I quite enjoy it.
I also have a tin of SG Squadron Leader that has yet to be cracked.
How would you compare these two and also, what are some other no-fuss English blends that sit middle of the road?

Just an easy English blend that harmonizes well with what is in it.
I have an opened tin of GLP Chelsea Morning, but I find it's hard for me to enjoy and I seem to just be smoking it to get rid of it, albeit an English blend too.
Thanks

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Pop that Squadron Leader open and report back on the comparison! :wink: Or are you trying to age it first (?)
I like 1882 by Erik Stokkebye with the KY in the mix. Dunhill’s EMP is a nice blend if you can still get it. Nightcap is a personal favorite, though I’m not sure I would call it middle of the road (get some while you can imo). GLP Samarra is another to check out. There are a number of good english blends to be enjoyed

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The selection is vast, so you really have to study the specs online and see what comes closest to what you enjoy, and also sample some that have innovations that sound good to you. People can suggest scores of blends and miss the ones you'd especially savor. For extra mild and refined with a touch of burley, Nat Sherman 536; for sturdy and engaging, C&D Stratfordshire. But you have to find your own way with this, or you'll buy things you won't enjoy. Keep samples small, and save the ones you don't like to try again as your tastes change ... as I often say.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
There are a million options, but Squadron Leader is a pretty good bet. It's softer smoking than MM965, to my palate, more latakia and sweeter, better balanced in that way.
GL Pease Westminster is a cracking effort in a real traditional English sort of taste profile.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
965 is my favorite tobacco and I will sorely miss it, when it‘s gone. SL on the other hand was one of my greatest disappointments. I read so many good things about this blend that my expectations were very high when I tried it. It‘s so light that it felt to me like smoking hot air. Much lighter in fact than EMP. I am quite surprised, that someone would say that it has more latakia than 965, which, for me, is quite certainly not the case. I‘d suggest to give Presbyterian a try. For me this is a quintessential english. Right down the middle of the road. A bit like EMP with a bit more heft.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
There are literally zillions of English blends to choose. Finding the exact right one can be difficult. I personally like the Frog Morton series.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I love the concept of a quintessential tobacco, but that would vary for everyone. What makes an English good? What are the quintessential aspects of an English? We should all take a step back and try to define the parameters first.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I find the Chelsea morning preferable to the 965 and Squadron Leader. Something about the leathery notes from the tin and when smoking it, mmmmm.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Y'all will laugh but I think that Sutliff Medium English embodies all that an English blend should be. It is cheap and does not come in a fancy tin but it is consistently smooth with a perfect amount of Latakia to Virginia and Orientals with body from some Burley and spice from a little Perique. I compare all English and Balkan blends to this one. Not the best English blend but a good standard for what an English should be...

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
965 is my favorite tobacco ever. SL is awesome and I would call it your 'baseline' English. SL is the basic English mix of Latakia, Orientals, and Virginias, in a basic English ratio. If you start adding constitutes or changing the ratios you get all the other types of Englishes. E.g. bump up the Orientals and you get Balkan, Add Cavendish you get Scottish, bump up the Latakia and add Perique you get you heavy Englishes like NightCap.
That said, Squadron Leader is top notch, and so is 965, but also very different. If you like 965 and you want a little more sweet, try Dunhill The Aperitif, it adds more Cavendish than 965 has.
Also, there are a ton of great English blends out there, try as many as you can.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
M965 is a very good expression of what English should be. Looking for all day smoke I may go for Father Dempsey as it is a little bit more milder while retaining the M965 taste.

Jul 15, 2011
As a general rule, if it has latakia, it is quintessential for me. I found some 5 year old Lancer Slices sitting in a jar the other day that was extremely pleasant, not very complex and a little flavor forward but I found it a very nice smoke. I used to smoke Billy Budd by the jar full but that stuff will kick your ass, make out with your girlfriend and steal your lunch money if you're not careful as it has enough nicotine to tranquilize a horse. Any of Pease's Latakia based offerings are a good choice, and one of my all time favorites is MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian.

glaswegian

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
965 is my favourite english blend. It has a more sourish taste and the squadron leader is sweeter on the palate. I think 965 has more oriental and the squadron leader more virginias. Both are well done.

Jul 15, 2011
Is 965 the one that touts itself as having brown Cavendish in it? If it is, I think I got a small sample of this some years ago and remember thinking it was very unique amongst English blends and I'm pretty sure that the brown Cavendish was the result of this. Damnit, y'all are gonna make me go shopping again and I'm broke! :mrgreen:

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Another brand to look at for english blends are Rattray’s. My favorite is Black Mallory. The addition of black cavendish (unflavored) makes it a smoke not to far from 965, albeit with a more generous dose of latakia. It’s sibling, Red Rapparee is great too, a tad sweeter and more oriental forward. Both are rather full flavored, such as 965. If you want something a little milder, then No. 7 may be a great choice.

Mar 29, 2016
The Quintessential English as in Made in England and not a "Balkan", I would have to say J. F. Germain & Son - Germain's Special Latakia Flake and J. F. Germain & Son - King Charles Smoking Mixture.
I develop a stiff upper lip just by smoking those and every five minutes or so I find myself screaming God Save The Queen! Rule, Britannia!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So sad to see so much attention paid to Dunhill or other European blends, not only past their prime, but likely to be out of production in the case of Dunhill.
There are many great English blends made by American tobacco companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.