PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a few Dunhill blends that I could smoke in my Dunhill pipes but haven't thought to do so before this thread. For some reason it just never occurred to me.
Now that the thought has been placed in my head, I am going to have to try this. Have I been missing some magical combination all this time?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Have I been missing some magical combination all this time?
I'm guessing your Dunhill cellar is of sufficient quantity that you can safely discover this magic.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I am all for magic. +1 on Wag the Dog. Scrumpyjack, that was actually just the kind of response I was initially looking to see.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@dcon: I just want to say I'm impressed with how you've handled this thread.
Too often it seems newer members (and sometimes older members) get their panties in a bunch are too easily upset if they post a thread that is not well received or encounter very much opposition or ribbing.
You've been a welcome exception to that here, IMO.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I do have a seasonal pipe that I commissioned for Christmas Cheer that I enjoy smoking while wrapping gifts on Christmas Eve.
img_20171225_011939.jpg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I think maybe 30, 40, 50 years ago this may have been more of a thing. A bunch of the old boys at my fishing club smoked (mostly ) Dunhill tobaccos in their Dunhill pipes. It was pretty simple - the old NYC Dunhill shop was close to most of their offices. A couple smoked Wilke tobacco in Wilke pipes because that store was close to their offices.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I just read a Dunhill smoking/tobacco/pipes encyclopedia from a link recently posted somewhere here. I believe it was from the late 1800's or early 1900's and it was an excellent read. It explained how shell briar came to be along with a whole bunch of other very interesting info. Sure wish I could find it again.
Anyway, there was a section that recommended "Dunhill pipes were made for My Mixture" and "My Mixture was made for Dunhill pipes" or something along those lines. Not sure if this applies to the subject at hand but it was a recommendation about smoking Dunhill in a Dunhill. FWIW...

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
[quoteYou've been a welcome exception to that here, IMO. [/quote]
I think this has been a pretty good thread all in all.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just read a Dunhill smoking/tobacco/pipes encyclopedia from a link recently posted somewhere here. I believe it was from the late 1800's or early 1900's and it was an excellent read. It explained how shell briar came to be along with a whole bunch of other very interesting info. Sure wish I could find it again.
Anyway, there was a section that recommended "Dunhill pipes were made for My Mixture" and "My Mixture was made for Dunhill pipes" or something along those lines. Not sure if this applies to the subject at hand but it was a recommendation about smoking Dunhill in a Dunhill. FWIW...
It would be sometime after 1917. You gotta love the lateral marketing.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Brian and Shanez. When you start a thread you never no what direction it might take. We have at least had some participation and that is never a bad thing. I learned along time ago that, if you want to be able to,give it, you have to be willing to take it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's nowhere near all of it.
I occasionally harbor a minor regret over not having jumped on the McClelland bandwagon to any great extent before they closed up shop. Guess I'll have to make due with the 30 lbs I bought along the way.
There are certain blenders who have a distinctive house style, and McClelland was certainly one of those. When they're gone, they're gone.
More on topic, more or less, is there really much in human activity that isn't to some extent subjective? One man's meat is another man's poison? You say tomayto and I say tomahto? Should a soft boiled egg be opened at the big end or the small end? Is chili a soup or a stew and should tomatoes be allowed in chili at all? Chaplin, Keaton, or Lloyd?

Status
Not open for further replies.