PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
warren ~~

Based on many of your posts, you often need a Snickers Bar!

For me, it’s the rare occasion that I search out a ZERO bar.

That said, I rarely disagree with your (fellow curmudgeon) point of view.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pretty interesting discussion! I can't say that I've ever considered matching brands of pipe with brand of tobacco. Just hasn't ever occurred to me. Have I ever made irrational decisions? Of course. I'm not a Vulcan. If I was completely rational I wouldn't be smoking a pipe or wasting my dwindling lifespan writing posts to forums. Not all pleasures are rational and I'd even opine that most really aren't. I can rationalize as well as the next fellow, but that doesn't mean that my rationalizations are rational.
Television news has been on the decline for decades, ever since it went out of the "public service" sector and into "entertainment", and focused on smiling mannequins over erudite reporters. But it's more the pundit class that's the problem. A lot of good reportage is still going on by dedicated journalists. It just gets dwarfed by the loudmouths.
People are very suggestible, no less so the person who thinks he, or she, is immune to suggestion. They are often the easiest to lead by the nose. We live with a constant assault of suggestions about what to buy, what to believe, how to be, etc, etc. Having worked on hundreds of commercials, many of them formulated by agencies who conduct "research" into how to hook a market, I can attest to the amount of calculation that goes into every particle of the message. Symbology plays a large role at every point. It works, and people spend large sums of money on, and make larger sums of money from, telling others what they want for a better life. Monkey see, monkey do.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I don't own a television
Good for you. The only thing I use mine for is watching DVD's.
How the News Makes Us Dumb
Looks like a good book.
Your learned theory is kaput.
I love that word, "kaput". Not sure why, but I just do for some reason.
brian64 great videos you posted, it’s funny but kind of frightening
Yes it is. The frightening part is how controlled the narratives are. The "talking heads" really are just that...nothing more than teleprompter readers. And the teleprompters are all being loaded with the same content from somewhere up the food chain. Everything from the big story narratives down to the fluff stuff. And all said in a language and tone that sounds like they're talking to 10 year olds.
The propaganda is so painfully obvious when you're aware of it. The "dangerous to our democracy" line that they all repeated is a perfect example. They're trying to sell censorship of the dissenting, "unauthorized" voices in the name of democracy. They're so afraid of the sheep being exposed to unfiltered, unedited information...or analysis from credible sources that runs contrary to the interests that the MSM serve. It's all about controlling the narratives.
Television news has been on the decline for decades, ever since it went out of the "public service" sector and into "entertainment", and focused on smiling mannequins over erudite reporters.
One of the greatest movies ever made, Network, was satire in the '70s. Now it's a documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFvT_qEZJf8

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Good for you. The only thing I use mine for is watching DVD's.
Mostly I'll stream videos on my phone when the mood hits, but I like theaters better.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
This one time, I smoked Peterson Saint Patrick's Day tobacco in a Peterson St. Patrick's Day pipe. Surprisingly good....
Elasmo - You are going to fit in around here quite well.
I stopped paying attention serious attention at the words "political scientist". I kept reading after that for the humor. (That's a joke by the way.)
Upon reflection though, I see similarity between the original theory of "does Dunhill tobacco smoke better in a Dunhill pipe" and does a more expensive pipe provide you with a better smoke. In my opinion, the answer to both is no, but I would expect marketers to push both as being true as a way to sell more pipes.
My belief is that pipe tobacco blenders want us to smoke as much of their tobacco as we can and therefore don't care what pipe we choose to use. To make a blend that only smoked well in one make of pipe would be a way to go out of business quickly.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Regarding the videos that were posted; is the use of wire-service copy more objectionable in television than in print? Of course, in print the "Associated Press" attribution is right there on the by-line. (And also in print, you don't have 30 bobbleheads chanting in unison, which is unsettling under any circumstance.)

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I agree with Sable concerning responsible journalism-- yes, it's still out there, I gave up network new years ago and rely on other sources that put effort into objectivity. We also have a responsibility to be acutely aware of our own bias in order to work towards our own personal objectivity. Not an easy task in a fragmenting environment of social media and information overload. Unfortunately, the bus seems to be stuck in reverse at the moment.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Responsible journalism is usually found on the local and state, non-political levels in my opinion. Local reporters covering local non-political news is reporting at its best these days.
To me, the problem is when entertainment so closely mimics news media as to be indistinguishable. Then it is very easy for comedians and talk show hosts to use their shows for standing on political soapboxes and profess the views that are fed to them. When they are called out for it, they fall back on the "we are just a parody of the news" excuse.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
tulsagentleman, you are so correct, sir, in that I got what I asked. Since we are supposed to refrain from personal attacks, I will not directly address the member that correctly referenced that dcon was/is rat poison. I simply chose that handle on a lark as it abbreviates my first and last name (to some degree).
I will mention that same member apparently took offense about my suggestion that he might want to rearrange his undergarments after making a previous jab at the absurdity of my post. I apologize for that reference.
I will refrain from comments on the tangent this thread has taken because it invariably falls into the realm of the political.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
It occurred to me that Dcon is a brand of rat poison. It also occurred to me that Dcon is concentrated Warfarin, a blood thinner used to reduce clotting in human patients. I didn't mention that because I am a gentleman. "Tulsa Gentleman"

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
is the use of wire-service copy more objectionable in television than in print?
IMO, the root of the issue is the consolidation of the media over the last few decades...including the major newspapers. I don't consider them to be any better than TV news these days.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
I don't know. I really enjoy Haunted Bookshop, but rarely smoke it unless it's October and I only smoke it in a skull Meer. My "Halloween Pipe". I look at it as more of a traditional thing to bring in the fall/winter season. Kinda like hotdogs and burgers on Memorial day weekend. Are they any better or worse then? Not really, but it just seems better to me. Whatever floats your boat and allows you to enjoy this little smoking journey of ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.