PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
As a political scientist, I have researched and studied symbolism. I wrote my capstone thesis on The Politics of Stadium Building which, relates to this concept.
So how does symbolism relate to pipe smoking?
I "feel" that tobacco branded blends invariably smoke "best" in the same branded pipe. To me, Dunhill tobaccos (and their Matches) are better in my Dunhill pipes. I would state the same about Castello tobacco and Peterson tobacco and their corresponding pipes.
I fully realize that there is no 'science" behind this, just as there is no solid reason why a flag evokes certain feelings. However, that does not negate the experience that one undergoes.
Does anybody else have similar experiences?

Jan 8, 2013
I have noticed no benefits of smoking a brand of tobacco in the same brand of pipe. If you do have a blend that smokes better in it's pipe of the same brand name, I would chalk it up to coincidence.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Interesting concept, but I was under the impression (maybe mistakenly) that the pipe manufacturing and tobacco manufacturing were two very separate business concerns for both Dunhill and Peterson. I also don't recall seeing something like "for best results smoke Dunhill tobacco in your Dunhill pipe"

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Brands would probably love this... if it were attainable. There're way too many variables in play with pipe smoking—briar grades, briar variations even within the same grade, blend types and components, burning temperature, draw strength/frequency/intensity, burning temperature, mouth chemistry...—to make this essentially impossible.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
The other thing that just occurred to me is that Peterson brand tobacco and Peterson brand pipes are now owned by two completely different entities.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I do however see a marketing opportunity in another area...cosmic, you'll love this one...
"Here at watchmacallit pipes, we take your very seriously and that's why we make different shaped chambers for different cuts of tobacco. If you like how your VaPer smokes in our standard cylindrical chambers, just imagine how sweet your flake tobacco will be in one of our conical shapes.Collect them all to get the most pipe smoking pleasure"

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I do not experience this at all, that would be like saying that a certain brand hammer performs better with the same brand nails

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I realize that tobacco and pipe entities are, today, separate. I am old enough to remember when some were not that separate or marketed that separately. I clearly stated that I know that there is no reason behind it but, was looking for an experiential opinion that, is seemingly unique (and I am sure quite coincidental) to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never have done that one. The Dunhills that I've had have been Captain Black pipes and plant containers. My Dunhill tobacco is smoked in artisan pipes. Matching pipe and tobacco brands never crossed my mind.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I think it is dependent on how pervious the smoker is to marketing. I imagine the smoker's world view has an impact on how they receive the symbols thrown at them.
I find the pipe smoking community's impression of blends and brands has a larger impact on blend enjoyment vs brand of pipe.
I'm fairly enamoured with Semois right now, and that love affair occurs with any pipe I throw it in.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
An organic pipe, stuffed with organic material from around the world and then incinerated ... nope! I can't visualize how any one would even conjure up the idea. Not poking fun, I just can't even comprehend the how such a thought arose.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm dubious, but come to think of it, I haven't matched pipe and blend brands much. I have smoked Peterson 3P in various pipes including Petersons and the difference didn't leap out. I can't think why it would be true, different series of pipes within a brand being so different, it sounds like magical thinking, but if anyone else has a strong impression of this happening, I'd be interested.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm more about blend components and a properly drilled airway than I am names and symbols.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
As someone who smokes mostly meers I can safely say that I'm not susceptible to associating the pipe brand with its namesake tobacco.
If pipe smokers are influenced by any such association, I would say it might be only a subconscious tendency to ascribe a certain value or quality to a blend due to the name. This might account for some of the high ratings given to Dunhill blends.
But regarding symbolism in general, it has a powerful influence on the human subconscious.
Symbols are the language of the subconscious.
A picture paints a thousand words. A symbol paints a thousand pictures.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I "feel" that tobacco branded blends invariably smoke "best" in the same branded pipe. To me, Dunhill tobaccos (and their Matches) are better in my Dunhill pipes. I would state the same about Castello tobacco and Peterson tobacco and their corresponding pipes.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.