PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I'm hopefully going to be finishing my honours bachelor of physics next year, and I'm quite grateful that my alma mater UBC is not smoke free either.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
I was at Appalachian State not long ago and the kids were walking here and there going to class and alot of them were lighting up,been smoke free for years.

monstermash51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2012
You went to app???! EWW. WCU baby and we light em up all the time. Sure there are certain areas you can't smoke but we follow the rules.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
Grandson went to WCU,going back next year after he gets out of the Army.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Daveromano 12 minutes ago in reply to JillyJo
JillyJo -- here are two responses to the outdoor second hand smoke risk link you posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...

http://www.slate.com/articles/...

You might want to consider your own test: Stand beside 10,000 smokers outside for an hour. Then put your face in front of the exhaust pipe of a car or truck for 10 minutes. You may not, of course, survive the 2nd test...
LMFAO

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Here in University of Michigan, the home of hipsters and hippies, many students smoke cigarettes. On July 2011, Michigan has gone "smoke-free" but students still smoke cigarettes on public districts where the university has no control of. (And they think they are just doin' damn good job...)
On Feb 20, I'm just gonna pull out my MM General and start puffin' around the campus.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Happily for students like Mushjoon at that School Down the Road, the campus and the community areas mingle - the campus is not one large chunk, like it is at my alma mater. Makes it easier to avoid this silliness.
Go Green!

MichiganState.jpg

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
I used to smoke in classrooms -- without windows even. Instructors too.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I remember flying on a plane and my mom said, "EEW! Someone lit up a nasty cigar." I remember thinking, "That cigar smells good!"

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Interesting in the comments section of the web link posted above, someone complains that the student wishes for a bygone era where tweed coated professors smoked pipes and cigars and spouted T.S. Elliot. That sounds like a class I would love to have the opportunity to attend. Real poetry taught by men who were trained to think, not what to think, and are able to speak with prose and passion while enjoying the noble weed. This would be a lot better than the current crop of useless pencil neck vultures that have not had an original thought since they tried to copy Dylan lyrics, or Ginsburg poems to get a females attention. If only we could return to a time when a Liberal Arts education enriched the mind, and enabled young people to achieve great things by drawing on the experiences of university and challenging discussions where all sides of an argument were presented. A mind was formed by rigorous training, not professor worship, and memorizing of the party line. I wonder when this era is studied in history, will the failure of our education systems be blamed for the downfall of the west?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
The campus I work at is going smoke-free in Fall of 2013. It technically doesn't affect me because I smoke at home, BUT, it pisses me off to no end. When did we get to the point where "for the greater good"-type fascism was acceptable?
:crazy:
-Jason

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
My school is not smoke free, no inside places, but anywhere outside is free game, I dont think Dr Garr would allow a smoke free campus

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
When did we get to the point where "for the greater good"-type fascism was acceptable?
When we as a people refused to take our rights seriously, and fight tooth and nail to protect them. As a general suggestion for those that enjoy to read I suggest looking at some of England's own Edmund Burke's writings as he reflects on the American, and French Revolutions. Very telling in our own time ,as we have let a false feeling of security and "health" trump the eternal value of freedom and personal liberty.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Prohibition had many unintended consequences as well. Sad to say, but maybe they are necessary to reverse some of our laws.
I remember one college seminar in which the professor used to enjoy smoking his cigars. But that was long before most of today's students were born.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
The University of Montana went tobacco free a last fall, forcing smokers to go off school property to smoke. Thing is the school is more or less at the edge of town and some are realizing, just as Kevin's link points out, that it often forces college kids into areas that aren't well patrolled or well lit. Residents of at least one dorm have to go to areas that are quite a long way from any other buildings, into an area that sees a fair amount of transient activity. Not a good situation of college-age females.
I can appreciate the logic behind some indoor smoking bans, and frankly I think cigarettes in particular have gotten a lot nastier smelling in the last twenty years for some reason, but even before I started smoking a pipe, outdoor smoking bans always seemed like an outrageously ludicrous idea.
I've been far less offended by smoke than by the cigarette and cigar butts left on the ground (really people? you gotta just drop them where ever?)

Status
Not open for further replies.