PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Mark Irwin has a book, newly issued, on the pipes that Basil Rathbone smoked as Sherlock.
More stills from the movies:
For Pete fans, in the comments section of the first link, discussion is had about reissuing of the 4AB shape. Peterson states they are not considering a reissue at this time.
For context some photos:

Lobbying of Smoking Pipes, by those interested in said pipe shapes, would certainly seem appropriate ;)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Bengel: I've been talking to Shane and Sykes at Smoking Pipes about this, particularly this past weekend. There is an interest according to them, but it won't happen soon. For those who want one, I do suggest letting them know you want the 4AB back in production. I've wanted one since the mid-1970s and I hope one day, it'll happen.

I have a pre-republic XL 155 bulldog, which Nigel Bruce smoked in a couple of the movies, and it's a great smoker. I also discussed this model as well, and Shane took photos of my pipe. A Rathbone-Bruce series with these two pipes would be awesome.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Bengel: I've been talking to Shane and Sykes at Smoking Pipes about this, particularly this past weekend. There is an interest according to them, but it won't happen soon. For those who want one, I do suggest letting them know you want the 4AB back in production. I've wanted one since the mid-1970s and I hope one day, it'll happen.

I have a pre-republic XL 155 bulldog, which Nigel Bruce smoked in a couple of the movies, and it's a great smoker. I also discussed this model as well, and Shane took photos of my pipe. A Rathbone-Bruce series with these two pipes would be awesome.
Would love to see this one, if no trouble to post here. :)

Reactions: JimInks and jhowell

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Not to go to far off topic
This is my only pre-republic Peterson
Only a Shamrock
Really looking forward to adding these releases, when available, to my collection. Please @/swilford bdw

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I won a copy of Mark's book at the Chicago Show this year.
He had a contest during his lecture, introducing The Peterson Pipe book, about Sherlock Holmes and pipes. It's a terrific little book, and the Peterson pipe book is a masterpiece.
I, too, would like Peterson to make available the 4AB.

Reactions: Bengel and JimInks

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
A bit more reading for more context:

@swilford bdw

We're doing lots of things along these lines. There is so much old interesting stuff at Peterson that it's more a matter of prioritizing projects than it is deciding to do these things or not. The resurrected John Bull for 2019's Pipe of the Year was the first project like this. The next few years will see Pipe of the Year be an old Peterson shape along the same lines (as in, same idea, different shape each year).

We'll likely have other projects that use old Peterson shapes happen alongside the annual POTY release over the next couple of years (there are irons in the fire, but projects can get derailed for lots of reasons, so I make no promises right now).

Suffice it to say, keep the suggestions coming. This is the stuff we really enjoy doing, so rest assured that it's high on our priority list.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
We're doing lots of things along these lines. There is so much old interesting stuff at Peterson that it's more a matter of prioritizing projects than it is deciding to do these things or not. The resurrected John Bull for 2019's Pipe of the Year was the first project like this. The next few years will see Pipe of the Year be an old Peterson shape along the same lines (as in, same idea, different shape each year).

We'll likely have other projects that use old Peterson shapes happen alongside the annual POTY release over the next couple of years (there are irons in the fire, but projects can get derailed for lots of reasons, so I make no promises right now).

Suffice it to say, keep the suggestions coming. This is the stuff we really enjoy doing, so rest assured that it's high on our priority list.
Sykes
Thank you! For your reply, very exited with what you guys are doing at Peterson. Really like the lines you have done and am looking with anticipation for the great things you have in store.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
No, not mine, I wish:rolleyes:
At the tale end of today's Peterson Pipe Notes blog post.

Status
Not open for further replies.