Country Squire Banner

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Country Squire Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Apr 26, 2012
So I couldn't bring myself to sell the new Pete Dalkey 999...I spent a lot of time choosing it, and I am just in love with it. I listed it twice, and each time cancelled the auction within a day. For the same reasons however, I have found myself unable to take that first step and smoke it. I have a small selection of older and well used pipes that smoke wonderfully and am having a tough time getting myself to light up this new guy. Does anyone else have this problem with shiny new pipes?

lazydog

Preferred Member
Apr 24, 2012
No, I load any new pipe immediately and give it a go. As soon as anything is created it starts to deteriorate, Might as well get the show on the road. It was made to be smoked, do it justice. :puffy:

Drucquers Banner

waznyf

Preferred Member
Apr 24, 2012
Michigan
I don't think I have this problem. I bought the pipe to smoke out of it haha

Maybe if I was strictly a pipe collector and didn't smoke them I could relate but unfortunately I cannot.

ohin3

Preferred Member
Jun 2, 2010
I can't wait for a new pipe to arrive so that it can be loaded and smoked. Why such trepidation toward smoking a new pipe? They are meant to be smoked. Like buying a new car and being affraid to put gas in it and drive it down the road. I am attracted to aesthetics, but my main reason for buying a pipe is in the hopes that it is engineered to provide a good trouble free smoke. I suppose if you come at buying pipes from a collectors mind set you might have reservations about smoking a pipe, but myself, I can barely wait to get it out of the box before loading it and enjoying a smoke.

jonahtke

Apr 26, 2012
It's not that I'm concerned that lighting said pipe would ruine the aesthetics...it's more trepidation about how it'll smoke. It's like that girl you had a crush on in school but were too afraid to talk to her. If I don't smoke it, it'll always be a nice pipe, but if I do and it doesn't smoke well for me, then it's a gorgeous pipe that I don't like.

jonahtke

Apr 26, 2012
@grizzly86 there is that as well

I'll get it smoked, there is no question there. But it's her first time and I want it to be just right :crazy:

tslex

Preferred Member
Jun 23, 2011
One reason I have almost never acquired two pipes at once -- The instant I get a new pipe, I want to smoke it. Then I'll put it in every-other-day rotation for a week or so.
If I got two pipes at the same time, I'd have an unresolvable tension over which to smoke first.
ETA: I would never own a pipe I wouldn't smoke. Not sure what the highest amount is that I'd pay for a pipe, but I'd never spend the money on a pipe just to own it. Pipes are sculpture, of course, but they are not ONLY sculpture. I know there are pure collectors, but I can't get that. It's be like buying a guitar and never playing it -- almost sinful somehow.

crpntr1

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
If you don't wanna sell it, smoke it, or just have it laying around, send it to me...I'll smoke it for you and report the quality. If its a bad smoke I'll keep it and you no longer have to look at it..it'll probably smoke horrible considering its a Peterson. But I'll make the sacrifice for pipe smokers everywhere. :mrgreen:

scotrob

Jul 24, 2011
yes I have this problem, which is why i tend to buy Estates
I bought this Jean La Croix pipe recently, new....and it was so black and shiny and gorgeous when I opened the box that I have yet to bring myself to smoke it....perhaps I will keep it and sell it sometime...but it was way better than I expected when I go

jonahtke

Apr 26, 2012
Those are both stellar pipes, I'm a bit of a collector (not so much pipes...but more "any hobby I get into") and I'm really having to fight the urge to stash away a nice pipe that is without fail a piece of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drucquers Banner