PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I love plug tobacco in the evening when I have the time to devote to its preparation. It’s cutting them without taking off a finger that always presents the problem. That is until I ran across the Ulu knife. This implement is the ingenious invention of the Pacific Northwest tribes and is available at a very modest cost. It features a wide flat blade with a single sided cutting edge much like the old time plug cutters you see in pictures. Its handle lets you control the cut and apply enough pressure to get a nice clean slice off even the hardest brick. A slight rocking motion which is easily accomplished because of the curved blade and you will be delighted with the results and probably require far fewer stiches.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Love it! Very original & neat looking. That's the only trouble with plugs, the time & effort they take to prepare. With something like that you'll be good to go in no time at all. Do they sell them with leather sheaves?

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
That is some cool stuff. I can see how that would do damage to a plug... in a good way. Sure looks like it would make cutting Night Train a bit easier. Thanks for sharing, Gman.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I found this on ebay for $9.99 with free shipping. I doubt it was made anywhere near Alaska.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alaska-ULU-Knife-with-stand-New-in-Box-Eagle-says-Denali-/331705121251?hash=item4d3b2a79e3:g:P4MAAOSwv0tVHe3s

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
It did everything, skinned animals, cooked dinner. Everything is frozen so that knife cuts through frozen food nicely. Plugs while not frozen are hard and it will cut them up easily.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I've got a Ulu type knife that my wife brought back from an Alaska trip. Her preferred tool for prepping veggies. She's asked me, not so politely, to not use it for tobacco prep, so back to the Spyderco.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Son made this one for me, heavy, good for cutting plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.