PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
"I am almost afraid to ask what this device was originally designed to do..."
Like Fordm60 said you can clean a walrus, seal, karabou, moose, and cut your plug all at the same time. :D
Brad, that is a heck of a good looking knife. Is that handle micarta or ivory? Looks like the real thing.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Cheers gloucesterman for putting the link up! I'm getting myself one of them ulus, now I think cutting the plug will be a pleasure & not a chore!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Perfect, you say?
That would be one of these. Found at an antique store in the middle of Missouri on the way to a pipe show (true story). Cost? Fiddy dolla. New blade? A KC club member machinist friend cut one (using the old blade as a pattern) from a sheet of proper thickness tool steel, and I ground the edge in my own shop.
By far the most difficult step was removing, grinding flat, and replacing the staked-in-place brass bar that the blade edge lands on. (It was about 2mm higher than the surrounding iron, and I wanted it flush for smooth push-feeding of plugs and ropes.)
How well does it work? A plug run through it looks to have been factory sliced. 8)
-
fHT6lZf.jpg

jyc1CJz.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Lovely yes, but you can't sheath that up, put it in your pocket go out with your pipe & plug & do the town! If anyone's interested there's a couple of Victorian plug cutters on the English ebay. I'm sorry Im not clever enough to put a direct link up myself, but if you type in tobacco cutter antique they will appear. One's English the other German, both going for the £50 mark.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Lovely yes, but you can't sheath that up, put it in your pocket go out with your pipe & plug & do the town!
I appears you lack commitment, Sir.
A custom-fitted one of these is only a few hundred dollars, and the exercise of carrying it around is good for you:
G9QbEe9.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Georged:-you may be right there sir, I thought I was committed just going out with a pipe on a Saturday night! That being said, I do a lot of salsa dancing & spend a lot of time with endearing young English ladies, so all that paraphernalia would simply hinder my main commitment of the evenings task in hand. Thankyou anyway for your suggestion, pathetic as it was.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks, Brad. Giraffe bone. I have seen some folders in Camel bone lately. That Giraffe is beautiful. Sounds like a good son. :)

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
George, great thing to have but I only cut a few slices per evening and the Ulu takes up a lot less space. Judging from the Ebay ads you did pretty well on that one. The blade looks like you could shave with it.

Brad, that's a beautiful knife. The boy has talent.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
that ulu design has been used by the eskimo for centuries - long before the white man came to the north -

& is still used today -

Status
Not open for further replies.