PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Been looking for an outdoor meerschaum - think I have found the solution - It's a KIKO, African meerschaum (denser and less fragile than Turkish meerschaum) with a leather wrapping. Should stand up to a short drop and not be bothered by cold. To top it off it it's the brother to the first pipe I ever owned. Icing on the cake - I had a spare meerschaum case that it fits perfectly.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Casual

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Pics? Where did you find it? I don’t think there is any more African meerschaum mining so I assume it’s used.

Reactions: jhowell

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That sounds like the ideal combination. I think even pressed meerschaum with the leather cover, or meerschaum lined briars would be fine. My choice for tobacco outdoors would be folded flake, to slow the burn rate in the wind.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many of us wear our eyeglasses outdoors, clear or shades, so I don't see why a Meerschaum wouldn't work as an outdoor pipe, once you ingrain the habits of extra care that might not be needed for a MM cob or knock-around briar. Nothing risked, nothing gained.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Many of us wear our eyeglasses outdoors, clear or shades, so I don't see why a Meerschaum wouldn't work as an outdoor pipe, once you ingrain the habits of extra care that might not be needed for a MM cob or knock-around briar. Nothing risked, nothing gained.
I have two meers and use them as outdoor pipes but only at home in warm, dry weather. It is worth mentioning both these pipes are a style that would be on the more durable end of the spectrum, not very ornate or fragile with respect to carving or design.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I really like the leather wrap, its all class...but simultaneously isn't it a tease that you will not see the meer go through its colour changes? Maybe one of your descendants will pull the leather off as it loses its stitches and dries out, revealing a golden brown meer underneath...

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I really like the leather wrap, its all class...but simultaneously isn't it a tease that you will not see the meer go through its colour changes? Maybe one of your descendants will pull the leather off as it loses its stitches and dries out, revealing a golden brown meer underneath...
I have plenty I can watch color. I wanted something a little more robust to take outdoors and not worry about. Kiko uses African meerschaum which is not as pretty nor colors as well as Turkish - it is however denser and not as brittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.