PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Ok, I know that many people here don't like to use, or recommend electric buffing wheel, and I fully understand the arguments of why they take this stand. Normal buffing wheels in the hands of the inexperienced can have tragic consequences, for the operator and or the item being polished. That's because most all of them are big and fast, neither of which is really suitable for pipe work IMO.

However, times, and apparently equipment have changed!

I received this in the mail today. If one were to want an electric buffer for pipe work, I'd say this is just about perfect. It is described as a buffing wheel for polishing jewelry. So how bad can it be on pipes?

1) Most importantly it's variable speed with 800rpm being the low range. And after trying it out, that speed is really perfect for what we do. It's not near fast enough to melt your stems or to have a pipe or stem ripped from your hands and go flying across the room. It's maybe slightly faster than an electric shoe buffer if that helps. But if you wanted to, you can crank it up to 10,000rpm. I did for a few seconds, just to see how fast that was and if the unit would start to move around on my desk. It didn't budge.

2) It's small and compact. Look at it compared to my hand and the bic lighter in the photo. This thing is tiny, but it has a hefty weight. It didn't go anywhere when I buffed with it, and it's not even screwed down (because I'm only running it at 800rmp). It barely takes up any space on my computer desk.

3) It can use 2", 3", or 4" buffing wheels or pads, which are really just the right size for pipe work IMHO. I think 6" buffing wheels are kinda overkill for this kinda work. It comes with 2 white cotton, 2 yellow cotton, and 2 abrasive wheels. It also come with a couple of extra motor brushes.

4) It's very affordable at only $66.99 on Amazon, which I think is a price point most of us can appreciate.

IMG_0278.jpg

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Using it will reveal many limitations.

Report back in a month. :)
I will indeed.
I take it you or someone else here has gone down this path with negative results?

My only concern before receiving it was:

1) that it may bog down at low rpms, but I didn't find that to be the case
2) that it would end up being a lightweight toy like thing, but that's not the case
3) it's a cheap POS and it won't last very long... which is still entirely possible lol.

Well, time will tell. If it turns out to be a POS, I'm only out $70, and I'll use the buffing wheels on my drill lol.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Ok, I know that many people here don't like to use, or recommend electric buffing wheel, and I fully understand the arguments of why they take this stand. Normal buffing wheels in the hands of the inexperienced can have tragic consequences, for the operator and or the item being polished. That's because most all of them are big and fast, neither of which is really suitable for pipe work IMO.

However, times, and apparently equipment have changed!

I received this in the mail today. If one were to want an electric buffer for pipe work, I'd say this is just about perfect. It is described as a buffing wheel for polishing jewelry. So how bad can it be on pipes?

1) Most importantly it's variable speed with 800rpm being the low range. And after trying it out, that speed is really perfect for what we do. It's not near fast enough to melt your stems or to have a pipe or stem ripped from your hands and go flying across the room. It's maybe slightly faster than an electric shoe buffer if that helps. But if you wanted to, you can crank it up to 10,000rpm. I did for a few seconds, just to see how fast that was and if the unit would start to move around on my desk. It didn't budge.

2) It's small and compact. Look at it compared to my hand and the bic lighter in the photo. This thing is tiny, but it has a hefty weight. It didn't go anywhere when I buffed with it, and it's not even screwed down (because I'm only running it at 800rmp). It barely takes up any space on my computer desk.

3) It can use 2", 3", or 4" buffing wheels or pads, which are really just the right size for pipe work IMHO. I think 6" buffing wheels are kinda overkill for this kinda work. It comes with 2 white cotton, 2 yellow cotton, and 2 abrasive wheels. It also come with a couple of extra motor brushes.

4) It's very affordable at only $66.99 on Amazon, which I think is a price point most of us can appreciate.

View attachment 193824
Looks like a Foredom knock off. Not a bad price.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Maybe nothing for the pros, as one already recorded, but to give your pipes a refreshed look from time to time surely it will work. Much better than putting linseed oil to the pipes ;-)

I would fix it to the desk just to prevent wobbling around. You need some compounds, white or blue will do the job.
And you can’t beat the price.

A washing machine motor on the computer desk would also look fine. I suppose that’s not, where the machine will stay in long terms. And don’t forget your PSA, glasses and respiratory protection.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Maybe nothing for the pros, as one already recorded, but to give your pipes a refreshed look from time to time surely it will work. Much better than putting linseed oil to the pipes ;-)

I would fix it to the desk just to prevent wobbling around. You need some compounds, white or blue will do the job.
And you can’t beat the price.

A washing machine motor on the computer desk would also look fine. I suppose that’s not, where the machine will stay in long terms. And don’t forget your PSA, glasses and respiratory protection.
Lol, right. I got all that. I did plan on fixing it to a piece of hardwood I have, then clamping that to my desk. It just makes it easier.

Unfortunately, I don't have a shop like I did back in the day.

I rent a room. So I'm delegated to my room. I have to make do with what I have. I thought this would be perfect for my situation. But yes, I think for the average smoker who wants to piddle around with shining his or her pipes, this would work fine. It's safe and inexpensive. And please... NO OILS!

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Lol, right. I got all that. I did plan on fixing it to a piece of hardwood I have, then clamping that to my desk. It just makes it easier.

Unfortunately, I don't have a shop like I did back in the day.

I rent a room. So I'm delegated to my room. I have to make do with what I have. I thought this would be perfect for my situation. But yes, I think for the average smoker who wants to piddle around with shining his or her pipes, this would work fine. It's safe and inexpensive. And please... NO OILS!
Maybe a thicker piece of cheap plywood may do the job as well. You still can oil it.

Reactions: monty55