PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I find patios (or decks) absolutely enchanting, no matter how modest.
A patio is like another room under the sky..
For many of us, our gateway experience with patios were simple barren small cement slabs fenced on three sides and connected to an apartment by a glass slider and partially shaded by eaves.
Even that could make a delightful patio.
My current patio is spacious, a large covered area and an open adobe paved area with a railroad tie retaining wall on one side
but it doesn't matter, not really. All patios can be made habitable with a modest budget and a little work.
And it certainly doesn't have to be expensive
A second hand patio set an be made good as new with a little paint. Maybe even one of those giant wooden cable spools. If there is no room, then a Bistro table and chairs is good enough.
A grill is a great asset but if there is no room for one, a Hibachi can suffice.
Outdoor lighting will allow you to appreciate balmy summer nights, but it need not be costly. A kerosene lantern with citronella oil will repel mosquitos as well as a bug light. Even a string of Christmas lights can fulfill the task. Or a candle stuck in a Chianti bottle.
You might add a windchime or hummingbird feeder, and some potted plants. Succulents are hard to kill, as are geraniums, which you can propagate from cuttings. Estate sales are good places to look for pots and planters. Scrounge or invest in a 5 gallon plastic bucket and visit a local stable or racetrack for free fertilizer.
You might even try for a container garden. Home grown tomatoes or herbs are a delightful addition if you're motivated.
I've got nine huge lush Jade plants that have developed over the years, from cuttings.
There will be necessities of course, a garden hose and nozzle, a broom and maybe a watering can.
There is so much you can do with patio no matter the size but the really important thing is to spend time there, Enjoying your morning coffee and paper, or an evening pipe and brandy al fresco. Inviting good friends over for a board game or cards,
Or grilling dinner for your date. Or just taking a nap under the stars.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I too share your patio appreciation. During the spring and summer, my wife and kids and I spend just about every day out there during the sunset hours. Then my wife and I put the kids to bed and go sit back out there in the dark. It's caused us to grow alot closer. We have much more engaging conversations, we listen to each other about our days and what's going on in life. No distraction of a television or anything us. Simply us and our conversation (and my pipe which she thoroughly enjoys).
I'm a lucky guy and it fills my heart

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Our patio is just some concrete pavers and pebbles screened by shrubs and trees, but I spend a lot time out there. I'm either cooking dinner on the grill, or on the propane burner (lots more Btu's than the indoor stove). I dry my motorcycle gear out there, grow plants . My wife practices tai chi. The neighborhood cat hangs out. I catch rays, think, try not to think, smoke my pipe. ....

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Used to have a wrap around front porch and a screen back, but I enjoyed sitting with the garage door open in the shop.

No more porches, but do have a nice big garage with a large door. Surrounded by my toys and tools, I enjoy very much.

• Love
Reactions: Hovannes and JOHN72

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've been house hunting online for some while now and have often viewed houses with wooden decking in the back gardens.

Unfortunately, due to the amount of rain we get here, many of these decks look to be green with algae and from memory would be as slippery as ice if they were wet (yes, even the grooved ones).

Then I get to thinking of the space underneath the patio/wooden decking....a perfect nesting place for vermin!

These wooden decks do really look nice when new but I think folk don't look ahead at the possible negatives when having one installed.

Of course much of this probably wouldn't apply to the States as you generally have much more friendly weather than us poor Brits :(

Now a nicely laid stone (not concrete slab) patio....that's a different kettle of fish altogether....nice looking and practical without the negatives of the above.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: Hovannes and JOHN72

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We live to get back out on the patio every Spring, and hate to pack it up for the Fall. Temps here in Maryland have still been a little chilly, but she's ready for another season. Once the weather warms, we generally eat all of our meals our. Out neighbor contractor, who cover the patio we had, asked if we wanted a TV mount. Nope, just some speaker wire (need to have tunes, not tv!)

1649502950936.png

1649503024234.png
1649503047698.png