PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
The North Fork of Long Island has been a (sorta) second home for me since my divorce, 16 years ago. I moved out here about 3 years ago to take custody of my daughter. In all that time, I have never seen another pipe smoker. I'm sure there are some, I just haven't seen any.
Then, while waiting for the Jitney (a bus to the city - train service is quite limited out here in LI farm country), with pipe-in-teeth, a guy comes walking up to the bus stop with A Bing in his mouth.
Well, we hit it off. We didn't sit next to each other on the trip into the city, but happened to catch the same bus home also. And we talked about everything.
I'm quite sure that I have never had such a wide-ranging discussion in my life.
So, to the only other pipe-smoker on the North Fork, thank you: it was a pleasure to meet you. Next time I'm waking the dog past your house, you can bet I'll ring the bell.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We are a cadre selected for our ability to appreciate something whose merits require some patience to see.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Good story. The North Fork and the South Fork, while only separated by the Peconic Bay, are in many ways worlds apart. I used to drive up there now and again, I lived in Montauk for 20 years (1994-2014).
:)

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
There are so many nice areas on Long Island, but the North Fork is like a different world. I love it here.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Dave,

My brother lives in the city but has had a place in Montauk for about twenty years. They go out year round.

Jon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, I've been to the North Fork, and the restaurant of that same name, which is a pun on "fork." My wife lived on Long Island, about at the midway point in Suffolk County, in the little town of Ridge near Brookhaven. So they finally have a pipe smoker. Good for them!

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
The Crazy Fork. My daughter used to bus tables there.
And, I'm a little less than an hour east of Ridge, give or take.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Dave,

My brother lives in the city but has had a place in Montauk for about twenty years. They go out year round.

Jon
See Jon, it's a small world. Maybe I'll look your brother up if I ever go back out to The End. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We still have the cat that moved down to N.C. with my wife, born on L.I. in Ridge, Bella (or as I call her Bella Begonia).

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I live in Port Jefferson and have only very very rarely seen another pipe smoker.

Once while sitting on a bench enjoying a pipe in the port I met an older gentleman and his wife. We had a really nice conversation.

That is about my only interaction with a fellow pipe smoker I have had in the years I have enjoyed the pipe.

I frequently take drives to the North Fork. Good to know there is another pipe smoker out there.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Dave, I had a couple of days of meetings in EH a few weeks ago (rough duty, huh?). It had been a few years since I'd headed to the Hamptons and I was astounded by how what had been routinely brutal traffic has become an order of magnitude worse. For that reason my friends there typically hunker down in their homes with periodic walks to the beach, but honestly how long can you realistically avoid crossing 27? Paradise cluttered with way too many cars and way too many people. For me part of what defines paradise is peace & quiet.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Paradise cluttered with way too many cars and way too many people. For me part of what defines paradise is peace & quiet.
Yup. I haven't been back since 2014, but things were always insane this time of year, and I had to regularly commute to both Sag Harbor, and Wainscott during the summer. From what I've read and heard, things have only gotten worse. I used to know all the back roads, if traffic was stopped on 27 I either turned left or right, the goal was to just keep moving, and you can't really get too lost, eventually you're going to hit water!
Dan's Papers once had an article entitled Frantically Relaxing, it's stuck with me ever since I first moved out there!
:D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife commuted to Newsday, the big newspaper in Nassau County, and often made day trips into Manhattan where she had an apartment in Greenwich Village for many years. She was inured to that traffic, both the Long Island Expressway and driving on Manhattan. I wouldn't even try it; it's a separate skill like learning to drive in the first place. One Christmas my gift was a shopping spree at a boutique that was closing in Riverhead (town on Long Island closer to her home in Ridge). I would haul things off the rack that I thought she'd like, and often she did. The store owner and staff were most impressed, behind my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.