PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
So I've had this pipe for about 6 years and I think I posted it here when I got it to see if anyone could shed some light on it. I grabbed it to smoke today and thought that since we have so many new members here maybe I could see what you all thought about now. It is a beautifully made pipe with nice grain and in a ball shape I guess you could call it, and it has a silver band that doesn't seem to be a repair band at all. However it's only stamped Pickwick, and Imported Briar. The band seems to be of British origin as hallmarks show what I looks like an anchor, the symbol for Birmingham. I think Pickwick was a Sasieni sub brand, but why the imported briar stamping? The mystery continues... any thoughts?

416DC8C0-B4B3-40E8-BD32-099D3FC8603A_1_201_a.jpeg
AEBDE562-A59C-4016-A9B5-CF043C8543C9_1_201_a.jpeg
64264D65-3CC9-4938-9197-C40BE6ECF055_1_201_a.jpeg

Aug 1, 2012
Yep, faux band from the 50s-60s as it shows a Birmingham anchor from the 1800s, the letter code from 2043, and a mutant something-or-other in the wrong order. It also could be a result of the early confusion on the 1972 export hallmark conventions...with the anchor facing the wrong way. As for the Sasieni connection, it could have been a Sasieni made pipe but the Imported Briar stamp would indicate a US made pipe.

Honestly, I would bet that this is a bit of a mutt with a pipe made by a US company, stamped to have a British sounding name to get a few more pennies for it, and then had a crappy 1970s fake band slapped on it to make it look even more "bougie." If it smokes well and feels right, I'd not worry too much past that. I've got some great smoking mutts in my rotation and I'd take them over a couple "artisan" pipes I've had.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Faux hallmarks for sure, and the IMPORTED BRIAR stamp screams American made. National Briar Pipe Co if I had to guess, but thats just speculation. Sweet looking pipe though.

Reactions: trouttimes