PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Kings looked WAAAAAY better tonight. Their speed was off the chains, looked like a totally different team. Quick looked like Quick circa 2014 again.

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Kings looked WAAAAAY better tonight. Their speed was off the chains, looked like a totally different team. Quick looked like Quick circa 2014 again.
Correct on all counts. Tough and gritty game, just what I wanted to see out of them.

I think the key was getting the neutral zone clog strategy to operate properly. As a friend of mine pointed out, Vegas did this successfully against Colorado last year after going down 2-0 and won four straight. They set up an aggressive trap and created turnovers by smothering the puck carrier 2 on 1 whenever possible. Sure, that can be risky, but it worked. The Avs couldn’t rely on dump and chase, and ditto the Oilers last night.

Also, the Kings were consistently getting the puck in deep offensively, which gives the D-men ample time to set up by the blue line to be ready for when it comes back up ice the other way. Those neutral zone turnovers in games 2 and 3 were a killer.

Better special teams too, obviously. Quick...well, what can I say? I'm just glad he didn't have to snag a 90 mph slap shot with his bare hand.

Keep it up boys!

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I don't dare to say this as I seem to be the only one; GO BRUINS!!!!

They are hated because they have the biggest jackass in present day hockey in their team (somehow teams from that area aren't loved universally haha). Doesn't matter, first round opponent is taking the series 4 to 2.

My prediction; Colorado vs Florida in the finals, Colorado takes the series 4 to 3.
Marchand is up there; but not the biggest jackass. That’d be Tom (I’ll fight anyone as long as their smaller than me) Wilson.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
We could have used Tom tonight. Caps fall in OT. Well, the series was fun while it lasted.

View attachment 144473
The caps are in a good spot, man. Most people didn’t expect this series to be 2-2 at this point. Including many of the Panthers most likely. Panthers have the edge with 2 home games left but I would not be surprised at all to see the caps win that series with the way they’ve been playing.

Reactions: Aomalley27

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
And....so long Nashville. Avs will get a little bit of time for Kuemper's eye to heal.

View attachment 144489

Was hoping for a better effort from Dallas to put the Flames on the brink. Oh well...
My bracket has the flames taking it all, so I’m glad they finally decided to show up. The avalanche are effing scary. And as predicted by Flames coach Darryl Sutter (who you know well), and (toot toot!) by me, “I feel sorry for whoever plays Colorado in the first round. It will be a waste of 8 days.”

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
My bracket has the flames taking it all, so I’m glad they finally decided to show up. The avalanche are effing scary. And as predicted by Flames coach Darryl Sutter (who you know well), and (toot toot!) by me, “I feel sorry for whoever plays Colorado in the first round. It will be a waste of 8 days.”
That is a quintessential Sutterism. Kings never should've fired him. He did what no other Kings coach could ever do, although Melrose and his mullet certainly came close in '93.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That is a quintessential Sutterism. Kings never should've fired him. He did what no other Kings coach could ever do, although Melrose and his mullet certainly came close in '93.
Yeah, I agree. The standards are way too ridiculous for coaching in todays league, especially with all the extraneous variables that can impact the team that are out of their control. Trotz today is a classic example.