PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Gorgeous collection, Neal! I don't normally love the Aristocratica finish, but my Goodness, that one is a stunner. I've been getting together once a week to smoke with a fellow who collects Castellos and I'm learning to appreciate them even more. I saw my first Le Dune -- a shape 93. It's remarkable work. Very handsome.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Holy Cow! That's gorgeous, both the collection and the photos thereof. (A couple of duplicates, no?- At least it looks that way to my eye, but maybe they're the same pipe but classified in two categories?)
Thanks for posting, Neal.

Oct 7, 2016
<p>Neal, the first 44’s I ever saw were Perla Nera’s with factory silver bands. In fact, for the longest time, I never saw a Perla Nera in any other shape, nor a 44 in any other finish. You need to find one of those before your set is complete.

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
This is amazing Neal! Not only because of the quality of the pieces represented, but because of the discipline and thoughtfulness behind this collection. You're an inspiration to the collector in all of us...
...and it would seem that I've got a lot of work to do on my collection of Castello's shape #23 8O

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Here they are in natural light.

oa5wayy.jpg

crM74je.jpg

uOtjmTl.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This is amazing Neal! Not only because of the quality of the pieces represented, but because of the discipline and thoughtfulness behind this collection. You're an inspiration to the collector in all of us...

Thank you, Shane! You and Kaz have been a huge resource in my journey.
Neal, the first 44’s I ever saw were Perla Nera’s with factory silver bands. In fact, for the longest time, I never saw a Perla Nera in any other shape, nor a 44 in any other finish. You need to find one of those before your set is complete.

Like I said, the collection will never be "finished". There are pipes still on the list. And I did a write up on the Perla Nera Opera 44 a while back. Marco taught me a bunch about the history. In short, the Perla Nera stain was only used on Opera 44 pipes until the 90s, and all Opera 44s were Perla Nera until then. That Opera 44 with the tapered stem above is an N1 stamped original Opera 44 Perla Nera, those came before the silver bands.
I needed a cigarette after viewing it all.

Harris, tobacco is bad for you!
(A couple of duplicates, no?

No duplicates. Two of the smooth pipes look similar and there is also a smooth Pi that looks like the Collection grade pipe. Believe me it was a challenge to double check and make sure I got the pictures right.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
I'm lost for words. That is a mind blowing collection. In fact, I think I will stop calling mine a collection for now… 8O

:worship:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Fantastic. That shape is also one that shows the la dune finish nicely. That flame is a show stealer though!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Here is a selfie of my first Opera 44 pipe, years ago. This was from Pfeifen Huber in Munich, Germany. It was a lonely trip, but this pipe made it special. The rest is history.

TIFh98s.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Harris, your wish is my command. Over the past year I have focused my pipe collection and sold/traded many pipes. I now try very hard to collect 7-day sets and avoid spontaneous PAD.
Stay Tuned...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Le Dune's are my favorites of your smokers. I've not seen such a distinctive blast or rendition since maybe a Cooke or a pipe by Lee Von Erk. or a Walt Cannoy suede 'blast'.

Status
Not open for further replies.