Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, not even on my radar, because I have been searching out larger bowls, not micro bowls. But, since Erik is coming to visit again at The Briary, I wanted to check out some of his new ideas. The last few times I have met Erik, he told me that he has not been making pipes for a few years, except to "piddle around." But, his son and grandson Knud and Victor have been handing the business.
But, the newest line of pipes are that he added a spigot silverwork to his Valhalla Line and this new Shorty... or, if it is not new, I have never heard of it previously.
shorty.jpg
But, the colors... and the whole premise of a "shorter" smoke.

I know others have mentioned looking for a smaller pipe for cigarettes length smoke (20 minutes?) Maybe someone on here is looking for a pipe just like one of these.

But, the spigot Valhalla line looks more promising to me. I have several of the first Valhalla designs, and I really like them. I also really like that he has standardized his stems, so that if you ever have a problem with a Valhalla stem, the company will send you a new one, for a price.
valhalla-spigot.jpg

Anyways, if you are in the Southeastern area of the US, The Briary in Homewood, Alabama, just south of Birmingham, on Saturday, Feb 29th, drop in and hang out with Erik Nording. He will have a huge selection of his new pipes. I may pick up a spigot, but I am definitely not interested in a Shorty, ha ha.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Actually, not even on my radar, because I have been searching out larger bowls, not micro bowls. But, since Erik is coming to visit again at The Briary, I wanted to check out some of his new ideas. The last few times I have met Erik, he told me that he has not been making pipes for a few years, except to "piddle around." But, his son and grandson Knud and Victor have been handing the business.
But, the newest line of pipes are that he added a spigot silverwork to his Valhalla Line and this new Shorty... or, if it is not new, I have never heard of it previously.
View attachment 18128
But, the colors... and the whole premise of a "shorter" smoke.

I know others have mentioned looking for a smaller pipe for cigarettes length smoke (20 minutes?) Maybe someone on here is looking for a pipe just like one of these.

But, the spigot Valhalla line looks more promising to me. I have several of the first Valhalla designs, and I really like them. I also really like that he has standardized his stems, so that if you ever have a problem with a Valhalla stem, the company will send you a new one, for a price.
View attachment 18129

Anyways, if you are in the Southeastern area of the US, The Briary in Homewood, Alabama, just south of Birmingham, on Saturday, Feb 29th, drop in and hang out with Erik Nording. He will have a huge selection of his new pipes. I may pick up a spigot, but I am definitely not interested in a Shorty, ha ha.
GET THE PINK ONE!

that's way cool he's visiting.. that Valhalla line looks nice. Are they all made in Poland now?

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my Nordings, but haven't bought any new ones in a while. Short smokes may be in tune with current distracted schedules and some younger smokers. I've always liked the looks of the Valhalla series, though I don't have one. My oldest is an Eriksen, an economy pipe but durable with an ample bowl. I also have a zebra Hunter and a signature freehand. From my experience, the brand seems conscientious about their quality control. They do good work.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yeh, all of his pipes are. I have asked him why they are all stamped Made in Denmark, and he says they are put together there. So, I just ignore all of the stampings on pipes about where they are made. They're just marketing bullshit.
it seems different countries have different regs on how things can be stamped.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
LOL, and the colors?! Porcelain? WTF, ha ha.
Jason, I was sort of shocked that he was having Erik back so soon anyways. I was twisting his arm to get Mark Tinsky, but he had already asked Erik. I like Erik, but I was just hoping to meet someone that I haven't met yet.

I know right. I won the slow smoke that year and Eric signed the box. Genuinely nice guy, just would like a change as well. But, we'll be there just the same.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable' disillusioned me about stamping of nations of manufacture. When you learn the origins of various brands, you realize how true this is. Brigham, the classic Canadian pipe, is made in Italy now, as are Stanwell the classic Danish pipe. This is the first I'd heard of Nording being made in Poland; I thought it was Italy, but whatever. Now that Poland has produced quality Nordings, perhaps the quality of pipes claimed to be made in Poland will improve; I've seen only the cheap ones in baskets. Poland might do some worthy factory pipes, as they already do some top quality artisan pipes (I think, but haven't seen any in person). So the nation of origin in the pipe world is up for grabs. I still feel fairly confident about Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, and MM cobs, but you never know.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
most art is a hyped lie of some kind.

A professor I had in college said it best: art is the biggest lie there is... fooling someone into thinking a sum of paint on fabric is worth anything at all. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.