PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I can't see 3 Nuns without thinking of a scene from a favorite novel back in the day. The bishop's cabinet was meeting at the episcopal residence. Chief of staff, Monsignor So-and-so, lit up his beautiful, gorgeously colored meerschaum. "What is that elysian blend you're burning there, Amby?" said the bishop. "My own mixture of 3 Nuns and Parson's Pleasure". Both laughed heartily.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Good one, Jerwynn!
I you want a 'stiffer' 3 Nuns try Newminster 403. If you want a sweeter 3 Nuns try Mac Baren's Dark Twist.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
3 Nuns is a bit moister than I preferred, I dried the sample I got a bit and it seamed to smoke better for me, woodsy would be a good way to describe it, nice smoke on a chilly fall evening outside

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Smoking a second bowl now in a smaller cob (Mizzou) and more rubbed too. It behaves much better with little jumps of sweetness occasionally. Nice...

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"The 'New' Three Nuns"
Here they are now...
th

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
After a few more bowls I'm reminded again on how the palate will find its way. I now love this. The subtle flavors are just there without attacking the taste buds and the texture of the smoke is so smooth -without no bite whatsoever.
I now understand that I must never again judge a blend by the first couple of bowls, be it positively or negatively, since there's a pretty good chance that after a while it will be reversed.
The only blend that keeps defying this little theory is Rich Dark Flake that still gives me no satisfaction at all... :)

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
I smoked Three Nuns on board ship in the 1965, cost about $3.00 (maybe less) a tin. Bought a Falcon pipe and a tin of this in the ship's store for under $10.00.

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
Three Nuns (the current version) is one of my favorite blends. I would smoke far more of it if not for the price...

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
Coda, you need to see the extortionate price we have to pay for any tobacco here in the UK. Americans seem to pay peanuts compared to us.
Regards,
Jay.
This is true, but at least your high price is due to taxes. Ours are simply the manufacturers price. A pouch of St. Bruno Ready Rubbed costs roughly the same here as it does in the UK...and that's with the low US tax. Mac Baren just sets the price high...

Status
Not open for further replies.